• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Suspension, or not :)

GunnerB

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
Hi. I just bought a very nice 66 Coronet. Just wondering, what does "Hemi suspension" mean? When it went on sale in the US in 2009, it was included in the ad. Is it just a sales gimmick or is there such a thing? See the link for more info. Thankful for more information, about ”Hemi Suspension” and about the car it self.

Used by the department of defens

Most likely the car could of been ordered with a HD suspension package and cooling package same as the Hemi used. Shocks, torsion bars, springs, and possibly a front stabilizer. Nothing that really does much for the real value.

The Hemi Suspension was also the same springs used on 440-powered R/T and GTX. It became optional in 1969 and later on 383-powered SuperBee and RoadRunner as part of a package that included 26" inch radiator, fan shroud and clutch fan. My 1969 SuperBee with factory 3.91 gears had this. These springs included extra leaves and heavier spring rate over standard springs.

Hemi suspension ,
Cop suspension
Trailer towing suspension
HD suspension...

Generally, it meant the largest torsion bars available, super-stock-style springs (one additional leaf per side), HD shocks F/R, the large 11" drum brakes F/R. That's the suspension itself. I had the Hemi suspension on a '67 Belvedere I wagon that had a 225/3-speed manual.

Easy way to check if your car has "hemi suspension" rear springs. Count each side. If it has a different number of springs on each side, they are likely hemi rear leaf springs.

IIRC the Hemi package had the largest diameter OEM torsion bars (I forget the diameter), the extra leaf and halve leaf right side rear spring is a major improvement for high toque/HP cars. The spring rates were also higher. Rear spring designs were later used as the XHD package, a great combo.

thanks for all the answers. I will measure and count. For me the value is not interesting but the heritage, the history, who owned and drove the car and how they thought when they built it is more important

Used by the department of defense in San Diego
'66 Big Block Coronet Post. New 383. Factory 11" brakes. Hemi suspension.
Hemi radiator and large Hemi core support.
SOLD

Looks like a lot of Salesman B@ll S%!t statements in there....

What does the fender tag and buildsheet day?

No such thing as a "Hemi core support". Sometimes the radiator used in some HD cooling cars including A/C cars, share the same radiator part number that Hemi cars happen to use. The larger HD radiator opening was for A/C cars and some performance axle cars, and towing packages.

.92 was the hemi sized torsion bars. HD suspension cars got the .90 torsion bars and front sway bar, and sometimes larger drum brakes. Larger drums came on std on performance Road Runners, Super Bee, R/T etc. The 1970 AAR and T/A cars got .92" hemi sized torsion bars.

Possible police suspension or something fleet may have had bigger torsion bars or leafs. What does the fender tag or buildsheet say? Torsions bar and leaf springs can often get changed in 55+ years.

Looks like a lot of Salesman B@ll S%!t statements in there....

What does the fender tag and buildsheet day?

No such thing as a "Hemi core support". Sometimes the radiator used in some HD cooling cars including A/C cars, share the same radiator part number that Hemi cars happen to use. The larger HD radiator opening was for A/C cars and some performance axle cars, and towing packages.

.92 was the hemi sized torsion bars. HD suspension cars got the .90 torsion bars and front sway bar, and sometimes larger drum brakes. Larger drums came on std on performance Road Runners, Super Bee, R/T etc. The 1970 AAR and T/A cars got .92" hemi sized torsion bars.

Possible police suspension or something fleet may have had bigger torsion bars or leafs. What does the fender tag or buildsheet say? Torsions bar and leaf springs can often get changed in 55+ years.

C2A56DDF-D717-4653-A4B7-7BC8923CE7D2.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back