• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi vs. 440

68BabyBlue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
I've owned 440 GTXs since the 1970s, but never a hemi car. I read the original Car Life comparison back in the day, and am well versed in the functional differences. However, there is no question regarding the mystique surrounding those big valve covers. Question to those of you who have owned them, what are the pros, what are the cons? Is the mystique worth the extra money over a 440 car?

Last edited:
Hemi is little if any faster than a 440 in stock form, especially the 440-6. Hemi is stronger (cross bolted mains), higher revving, not nearly as much needed to improve performance. These are just a few things. Don't hope for much over 12mpg on a good day, not that a 440 will give you a lot more.

Last edited:
Assuming they are stock. Not having to adjust valve lash on a 440 as was needed on the 67-69 hemi.

I have both a 440 sixpack 70' Charger and a 70' Hemi Challenger. While, a few people will stop by and talk about the Charger at the cruise nights or out at the track. Almost no one will walk by the Hemi Challenger without a better look....

Last edited:
Hemi for the bragging rights, period. As its been stated already, mechanically the Hemi isn't much more of an advantage...

I can comment on stock performance
I owned an A12 RR Auto factory spec's
My friend owned a 69 RR Hemi Auto also factory Spec's.
Both cars were basically stock.

Both cars had 4.10's and ran bias ply tires.
We put them against each other quite a few times. All things being equal the cars were
right together just past the 1/8 mile and then the Hemi would pull away and just keep pulling.
I drove the Hemi car a few times and man on the top end it was just pulling harder and just
kept going.

Of course this is my story and I know everyone has one.

I've owned 440 GTXs since the 1970s, but never a hemi car. I read the original Car Life comparison back in the day, and am well versed in the functional differences. However, there is no question regarding the mystique surrounding those big valve covers. Question to those of you who have owned them, what are the pros, what are the cons? Is the mystique worth the extra money over a 440 car?
You will certainly get a variety of opinions regarding your question. I’ve enjoyed driving, working on and showing my Hemi car. As already mentioned, people sure like to gather around and look at it and tell you all about a hemi motor. I’ve owned everything from a slant 6, 318, 340, 360, 383, 400 and 440. This is my first Hemi car and I truly value my experience with it. Was the mystique worth the extra money, in my case yes. By far one of my favorite cars.
DD7DEE7B-E5F9-47A8-B129-1F3C74026B86.jpeg

If i could afford a hemi car then i would go for it.
Better top end, easier to maintain (spark plugs...), and if you going to modify it has way better potential.
That being said i got a 440 in my 69 charger r/t (stock) and it pulls pretty good. Changing spark plugs or opening the rear end diff is a nightmare though...

Well,

I was is in this very same boat last year and half or so .
I was looking for a car, Wanted and was primarily looking at 67 GTX 440 cars.

An opportunity presented itself to buy the car I now own. 1966 Satellite , Hemi auto. I have history with this very car as I am very good friends with the former owner . Even put in quite a bit of help during its restoration back in the late 90s early 2000s . So it made the choice just a little bit easier, just more expensive. And required about a year longer wait to pull that trigger.

But I now own the car of my dreams and can honestly say without a doubt I made the right choice with no exceptions or reservations.
Car isnt perfect by any means . But WOW it puts a grin on my face that cant be wiped off by any means when I walk into the garage or plop my butt in the drivers seat .

If you make the same decision .
Just be prepared for a crowd when you take the car out and park it.

Mine draws a decent crowd when ever I pull in my local cruise spots

As for the Pros , the smile I get when I walk into the garage
Mine will start a conversation pretty much when ever I park ir and get out. From the gas station to our local cruise inns

Cons - parts are a little bit more expensive. and have to be ordered as NO ONE stocks anything for a Hemi car except maybe spark plugs and oil filter

20201025_124331 (2).jpg engine2.jpg

Last edited:
Hemi is little if any faster than a 440 in stock form, especially the 440-6. Hemi is stronger (cross bolted mains), higher revving (shorter stroke), not nearly as much needed to improve performance. These are just a few things. Don't hope for much over 12mpg on a good day, not that a 440 will give you a lot more.
Same 3.75" stroke

Well,

I was is in this very same boat last year and half or so .
I was looking for a car, Wanted and was primarily looking at 67 GTX 440 cars.

An opportunity presented itself to buy the car I now own. 1966 Satellite , Hemi auto. I have history with this very car as I am very good friends with the former owner . Even put in quite a bit of help during its restoration back in the late 90s early 2000s . So it made the choice just a little bit easier, just more expensive. And required about a year longer wait to pull that trigger.

But I now own the car of my dreams and can honestly say without a doubt I made the right choice with no exceptions or reservations.
Car isnt perfect by any means . But WOW it puts a grin on my face that cant be wiped off by any means when I walk into the garage or plop my butt in the drivers seat .

If you make the same decision .
Just be prepared for a crowd when you take the car out and park it.

Mine draws a decent crowd when ever I pull in my local cruise spots

As for the Pros , the smile I get when I walk into the garage
Mine will start a conversation pretty much when ever I park ir and get out. From the gas station to our local cruise inns

Cons - parts are a little bit more expensive. and have to be ordered as NO ONE stocks anything for a Hemi car except maybe spark plugs and oil filter

View attachment 1060152 View attachment 1060154

Boy I sure like that car
Great color combination

Well if you're going to have one classic mopar id say go for the hemi car. Not because its BETTER per se, but when you buy a classic car you're going for the cool factor, so you may as well go all in on that...

Auto Transport Service
Back