• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemmings Daily Post

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
Imagine my surprise when I looked at the Carspotting feature on today's Hemmings Daily Post. Front and center is my 1969 Coronet Superbee captured in Grand Bend, Ontario. I bought my car in February, 1969 in St. Thomas, less than an hour away. It was a Sunfire Yellow coupe (notice b-pillar on photo car), with black Bumblebee stripe, and optional RamAir 2-scoop hood. My new 'Bee arrived with 14'' wheelcovers and whitewall tires. I thought they looked hideous. I quickly mounted the factory tires black sidewall out on chrome reversed rims. The car in the photo is clearly wearing chrome rims. The clincher is the faint trace of a rear deck mounted radio aerial, seen as a faint line against the background of the following car. My Superbee was originally ordered by the dealership without a radio. I paid the option fee to have an AM radio installed and specified a rear deck aerial. This photo would have been taken in the early summer of 1969, because I later added a black fiberglass A12 hood to the 'Bee.
In the late '60's and early '70's, the parents of my girlfriend and soon-to-be wife had a cottage at nearby Port Franks, just 10 minutes from Grand Bend, where I spent many summer weekends. We used to go to Grand Bend, also because it had more shops and eateries. There was, and still is, an active drag strip outside Grand Bend where many of us gearheads attended. I remember being at the girlfriend's cottage the night the first man walked on the moon in July, 1969.

1969.png

Very cool story and photo, Dave. :thumbsup:

Question.... On the right side of the photo where the cars are parked, there's a station wagon, a convertible, and then what's the car in front of the convertible? An early 60's Dodge Lancer?

Very cool story and photo, Dave. :thumbsup:

Question.... On the right side of the photo where the cars are parked, there's a station wagon, a convertible, and then what's the car in front of the convertible? An early 60's Dodge Lancer?
The consensus from the Hemmings site is that it is a 1961 Valiant. Did you notice the 1964 Dodge going away? Thanks for viewing.

Very cool random picture. Looking at the photo, gets me thinking. How many times would you have to cruise the strip to find a parking place?

No i didn't.... Is that the 64 in front of the VW?
Yes, that's it, opposite the Holstein( that's what we called the black and white OPP cruisers). I guess you have to come from a farming community to appreciate it.

I knew what you meant as soon as I read it. lol I don't have any experience with Holsteins, but I have enough acreage here where I'm at that I raise a few head of Angus from time to to time. :) Maryland's a small state compared to most and what farm land we have left in my area seems to be dwindling pretty quickly these days.

Tell the truth! You were in Grand Bend to scope out the other wimmins wearing bikinis....

Auto Transport Service
Back