• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go. One last time...

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
My (probably now infamous) '68 GTX has started undergoing yet another engine swap
after all sorts of attempts to diagnose and repair the "mystery motor" 440 it came with when I bought it.
Given my present health situation, this will be the last time I ever do this.
It is what it is.
I hope everyone will sort of follow along and keep an eye on me as I try to do this mostly alone. :)

First off, I bought an engine from a gentleman out in Las Vegas. This was his eBay ad:
440 ad 1.JPG

440 ad 2.JPG

I just happened upon it right after he first put it up and immediately contacted him requesting video of it running. He graciously provided same:

Sounded good to me, so the deal was struck immediately and he took it down off eBay - even though I reminded him that if he left the auction alone, he'd surely get more than what we agreed on.
He'd hear none of it; we had a good long talk and he was happy it was going to a good home.

A week later, it arrived:
IMG_20170210_151657783.jpg
IMG_20170210_152442425.jpg
IMG_20170210_155747463.jpg
IMG_20170210_164607897.jpg
IMG_20170210_164648641.jpg

Looked perfect, no damage. Dang engine stand drooped under its' weight. :)

There was no turning back now...

Last edited:
Drop that baby in the X and let her rip..... good luck!
Glad to see the new thread. This renews my intertest in seeing you make progress and sincerely hope to see the installation go smooth and that you can get great enjoyment of your GTX after so much frustration. Any problems, you know there is a lot of help out here that wish the same thing..........................MO

Just drop it in---DON'T touch a thing!!!!! Gonna follow the new post.

Went back thru pics and it looks like your oil sender is set up for a gauge,not a "light". Same sender as my '68 with Rally gauges.. JUST KIDDING, go to town!!!

Went back thru pics and it looks like your oil sender is set up for a gauge,not a "light". Same sender as my '68 with Rally gauges.. JUST KIDDING, go to town!!!
Yes, there's much stuff to swap from old to "new" engine...

Today, weather was unseasonably warm, so work began:
Buttoning existing engine up 2-12-17.jpg

First order of business was to button back up the old engine to an extent so that it could be handed off to its' new owner, whoever that winds up being.

Draining and disconnecting 2-12-17.jpg

Up in the air so I could get underneath and drain all fluids, including transmission.

Getting started 2-12-17.jpg

Got all connections to the engine disconnected.
Finally.
I was struggling a bit by the time I got it all. Not much gas in my tank these days.

Next up is dropping the driveshaft and pulling the transmission.
That'll have to wait. Need to recover a few days - and find a helper.
I don't want to wrestle that 4 speed alone.

Best of luck my friend, but is there a reason to remove the trans? Jack it up, use the strap/or 2×4 method to hold everything in place. Easy- Peasy.
BTW, that appears to be a standard pilot bushing, I'd leave it be.
This is the fun part-enjoy!!

Best of luck my friend, but is there a reason to remove the trans? Jack it up, use the strap/or 2×4 method to hold everything in place. Easy- Peasy.
BTW, that appears to be a standard pilot bushing, I'd leave it be.
This is the fun part-enjoy!!
Thanks!
Yep. The transmission is a 23 spline and it's pretty beat.
Pops out of 2nd on deceleration, grinds going into 3rd (synchros).
It's getting replaced.
There's a reason Ma put 18 splines behind 440's. :)

Was wondering why you were pulling trans. Sure is a good reason! Have an extra beer. Waiting to see video?

Was commenting on your answer to mopar wacko. I should have hit reply, my error. Pulling trans sucks. I've got one waiting for me. Little cold here to start.

It's not for some reason. I see you have it with your other videos on YouTube. Man I love that color on your X!
Here's the video, swiped it from your other thread. Good luck Brother!

Yeah, for some reason that one wasn't working before, so I uploaded it to YT again.
Sheesh.
Yeah, that color started the whole mess. :)
Wife and I went up on a Sunday six years ago to look at the car when it was for sale. I'm thinking negotiation and technical skills things....
in the meantime, we come around the side of the fella's garage and she sees that color and says "ooooh, that's so PRETTY!"
I thought "crap, it's a done deal already".
True story. :)

Good luck. Love your GTX she's a beauty

Auto Transport Service
Back