• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's A Wierd Steering Problem..Has Anyone Else Run Into This?

soundhd

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
Have a recently purchased (last fall) 70 RR; 383; Auto; Power Steering; Power 4 wheel drum brakes.
First test drive showed there was a major problem with the steering.
Had to replace the steering box along with the power steering pump. Both were in pitiful shape.
That helped a lot but still not right. Had the front end aligned and that made all the difference in the world.
Now to the problem. Have only had the car out 3 times to a cruise-in along with a couple test runs when checking out the repairs.
This has happened 3 times now (do not remember it happening before all the front end work), when parked (yesterday) started it up (had just tuned the engine, etc...) turned the steering wheel to the right that was fine, tried to turn it to the left and it stops about just right of center and will not turn to the left anymore. When I tried to force it a little bit the steering wheel wanted to turn back to the right on it's own a little.
Had the same problem turning around in a parking lot last weekend. Only seems to happen when the car is standing still or moving very slow like when backing into a parking spot and trying to turn the wheel at the same time. Once the car starts moving a bit faster everything is fine......so far...
Has anyone run into that before? If so what was the fix?

In some cases the exhaust pipe makes contact with the steering linkage. Worn out motor mounts can cause the engine to sit lower, making the exhaust pipes also sit lower. The Steering linkage is bolted solidly to the K member. When the exhaust pipes hang lower, the steering linkage can hit, causing a bind. I have had it happen. The inner tie rod end often hits.
The fix? NEW motor mounts. To test, try bumping the throttle when turning. If the mounts are bad, the engine will rock a bit and probably allow the linkage to move.
Besides this, I'd look at the idler arm. This is a known weak link in the Mopar steering setup. Buy a high quality unit, not some $15 coupon special.

Thanks for the info.....very interesting...never would of noticed that one.........will have to take a look at that

thanks again

couple things to check...when the steering box went in, did it get adjusted and/or did the steering wheel get put back to center before the coupler was connected?? also, did the pittman arm get connected to center? or it could be the spring that sits under the valve body not seated right?

In addition to already mentioned, based on your statement that they were in pitiful shape, I'd also recommend you check the entire susp/steering, including the lower arm bushings, etc,etc....

Auto Transport Service
Back