• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hid headlights

Aron Gleason

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
I've been trying to get some Hid headlights to work on my coronet. I've got hylux 35w ballasts with 8000k cnlight bulbs. And had to get a morimoto 9007 harness to work off the battery. Ive had so many problems with blowing bulbs and ballasts. Just wondering what everyone else has done to make hid headlights work?

I'm being told there could be a floating ground that's backfeeding to the Hid headlights. What should I check?

I'm thinking I need to run both ground wires on the morimoto harness straight to the battery, I'm thinking the radiator core support isn't a good ground.

Aaron. Gleason Read this Entire post 3 times. Do you have a ground wire from your engine to the firewall like it originally came with? If no then there is your floating ground. You need at least a 10 gauge wire from the engine to the body. Bigger is better.

Is the battery under the hood or in the trunk?

The factory grounded the headlights to the core support. They thought it was a good place to ground to.

Important: Your fuel sender sends a ground signal to the gauge. Is your Fuel sender grounded to the body? Can’t work if it’s not grounded.

Everything needs power and ground to function. The body is the ground in many cases. The battery needs to be grounded to the body and the starter. Big cable for starter ground, smaller wire for body ground.

Last edited:
I do need to get the ground wire back on the firewall to engine. Battery is in engine compartment. As far as fuel sender, I'm using a jaz fuel cell and wanting to use the factory gas gauge.

Got my hid headlights working. I never had a ground wire from the firewall to the motor. Then I ran both ground wires from the morimoto harness directly to the battery.

Auto Transport Service
Back