• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden radio option

HotRod777

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
In case it might help anyone else, here is the hidden radio route I went with for my Dads 1966 Coronet that is originally radio delete. This is a boat, dash mount radio that has a wired remote included, bought on Amazon. I built a custom plate with 2- 3.5” speakers and mounted it under the stock dash grill. I spray paint the tops of the cones black (they were red) so they don’t show through the factory grill once outside in the sun. The head unit came in the box in the firm foam you see it mounted it. I noticed it looked like it would fit in the glovebox so I just trimmed it a bit, sprayed it black and it smooshed in and popped into place. I just had to cut about a 1” hole in the bottom rear of the glovebox cardboard to pass all the wires. (It has a lot of inputs and outputs, although unused in this setup) Unseen is a hidden antenna that I stuck on the underside lip of the dash against the passenger side kick panel. The radio has Bluetooth and it works surprisingly well and well as good AM FM even with the hidden antenna. The remote is mounted as seen beside the gauges. The remote has everything you need for basic use (vol, tune, skip between presets, and band) and you really never have to open the glove box. The remote actually looks like it would fit in a 2-1/16” gauge hole and I would have used a 3 gauge pod had I known that. After the fact I’m not pulling the temperature gauge capillary back through the firewall so I just mounted the remote beside it.

3BB489CD-27D8-4AA3-B6A9-E7D45E9A2992.jpeg C5BF8944-BAC0-4731-8677-EF6B51860696.jpeg 1130BF1B-5D0B-449A-936B-BB853C6BA8B2.jpeg

very kool, love the remote mount in a gauge pod

Thank you. Contemplating options on my '66 Coronet 500 at present. This is very helpful

Auto Transport Service
Back