• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden VIN Stampings

harann1023

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 plymouth belvedere. It is stripped down to basically a shell. Nothing else could be taken off the car without breaking welds. I am interested in the locations of VIN stampings. I know about the radiator support, under the driver side trunk weather stripping. Are there any others on the stripped down body that I could locate? I was told there are? I was told to look for one on the rear of the body by laying down, head where the gas tank should be, looking toward the inside of the long piece that the rear bumber would bolt to, toward the left? Didn't find it? should there be one there? Are there any others?

My memory, which isnt quite as good as it used to be, is that there is one in the floor pan above the rearend. Dont quote me, but if you get the unibody tub real clean, look in that area. Good luck.

....Are there any others?....

On a 68, you will not find the VIN stamped on the body. You will find the a variation of the vehicle order number where you stated: on the radiator support and trunk rail.

you should find (A, E or G for the plant)8 R then the six digit VON.

The other location you described was used in earlier years.

Going to VON you to Death !!

..Does the VON location stamping on the 68 exsist on the 1969 and above in the same location..Or was that stopped after 68 ..Thanks Rick
:eusa_think:

..Is the VOn not located after the 68's
On a 68, you will not find the VIN stamped on the body. You will find the a variation of the vehicle order number where you stated: on the radiator support and trunk rail.

you should find (A, E or G for the plant)8 R then the six digit VON.

The other location you described was used in earlier years.

..Does the VON location stamping on the 68 exsist on the 1969 and above in the same location..Or was that stopped after 68 ..Thanks Rick
:eusa_think:

..Is the VOn not located after the 68's

for 69 and 70 the location is the same but you'll find a partial VIN not the VON.

Auto Transport Service
Back