• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Idle

FlagCraig

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
What is a good rpm for idle? Mine are at about 1K RPM sometimes a bit lower.

Could there be any issues when putting it in gear on the trans?

It might not be true but for some reason I think they start and run a little better with higher idle.

Thanks.

What is a good rpm for idle? Mine are at about 1K RPM sometimes a bit lower.

Could there be any issues when putting it in gear on the trans?

It might not be true but for some reason I think they start and run a little better with higher idle.

Thanks.

What cam are you running Craig?

Stock cam in the 440 67 GTX.

The 72 Challenger has a 340 stroked to 416 with a hydraulic comp cam. Don't know lift and duration off top of my head.

You would have to have a lot of camshaft to justify that high of an idle.The stock 440 would be way out of its comfort zone at that high of an idle,your vacuum readings would be low, your mechanical advane would be kicking in at an idle to a certain degree,not good for longevity in my eyes

Stock cam should idle around 750-800 RPM with hardly any initial timing, nowhere near 1,000+ RPM @ idle. Even my past MP 590 idled around 1100-1150 RPM's @ 32* (locked timing), in comparison, the MP 528 idled around 850 RPM @ 18* (locked timing with 6AL2 management).

Auto Transport Service
Back