• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Wing Heaven?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi I am relatively new to the forum and new to Mopars. I had been familiar with the Superbird and its high wing but see that some Roadrunners are sporting them as well. Was this a real factory option? Did it really have a purpose for the street/highway?

Thanks in advance I will get my popcorn and enjoy the thrashing....:popcorn:

it may be one of 2 things. Either its someone who likes the look of it on there car, or if it has the back plug on the window and a regular roadrunner nose on it they were converted back to roadrunners to sell easier way back in the day.

To answer your question:
No
Not a Factory option to order for a Belvedere, Satellite or Roadrunner
Yes, on the race Track the Down Force created by the Wing was significant!
In 1969 Ford dominated NASCAR with the Talladega and Merc Cyclones
In 1970, it was ALL Mopar due to the Superbird...

As fellow member Chris B mentioned,
These cars did not sell quickly,
So some were turned into Roadrunners to appeal more to the General Public....
Nice surprise huh?
Imagine finding out your Roadrunner is a Superbird?
The fenders were form a 70 Coronet
There is a company that builds the Wing and Nose today....

Thanks for the info and history on this guys. Yes imagine someone has a Superbird and doesn't know it....Ah yes the front fenders were more rounded than the RR when you look at. I guess that's a big give away if you see that.....

To add to the above, it's fascinating to delve into the history of the wing cars.
For example:
Most folks associate the wing with downforce, but did you know the vertical stabilizers were equally as important? They allowed extremely stable maneuvering at high speeds, by design. It's fun to watch old films of races back then and watch the wing cars literally steer their way through wrecks on the ovals - at speed!

Yeah I like they way it looks on the RR without the SB front clip. I just wonder if its over the top for the street. I know it would turn many heads .... it does mine but now I know a bit more about them!

Auto Transport Service
Back