• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hinge painting

ahmincha

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my 71 ssp. I am rebuilding my hinges as we speak so I can get the 1/4 panels installed.
My question is. should I paint the hinges while apart, after rebuild or after they are installed when I paint the jambs? Thanks for all replies

I would paint them after rebuilding them. As to not chip paint while working with them. And before installing them. Which ensures paint is on the back of the hinge, and on the entire jamb surface. However, if you want a factory appearance, paint them after installed, and doors adjusted, so the bolt heads are painted.

Last edited:
You're going to chip the paint tightening the bolts. Then the bolts will need paint, etc, etc.. Epoxy prime the hinge areas on the body and the backs of the hinges then install the hinges and doors and paint everything on the car when you "jam" it.

Epoxy primer needs to be topcoated within a few days OR it needs to be scuffed. Scuffing things like hinges isn't easy! After you've rebuilt them and assuming they're bare metal, I'd shoot them with rattlecan etch primer before putting them on the car.

Hinges are rebuilt.
I set the doors for the 1/4 panel replacement. Do I also need to set fenders?

20200105_153330.jpg 20200105_114938.jpg

If the doors are aligned to a) the quarters b) to the sills and c) to the cowl, that should be sufficient.

I'm no body man but I would personally be inclined to install the fenders and doors before final setting of the quarter panels.
Doors and fenders have adjustment quarter panels don't...

So I'm assuming that adjustment at the cowl is automatic if your good at the 1/4 and rocker. It would seem that any movement up or down in or out at the cowl would change the 1/4 or rocker lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back