• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho do you fix the lazy eye issue on the fender - headlight area?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
I finally going to get around to fixing the lazy eye issue in the passenger side headlight.
Is there a simply adjustment to the fender bolts? how do I fix this?

Passenger side has a ever so slight drop to the left, I call it the lazy eye look.
Is this something I can fix in my garage or do I need a body shop?

vLOIwaN.jpg

was the fender bucket area damaged at one time?

The bezel matches the fender so my guess is that the fender would need to be adjusted upward by a slight amount.
I do see your point, there is a slight misalignment there.
It could have been this way since day one and with the way these cars were quickly screwed together, nobody cared. Shops that go the extra mile would probably shim, egg out adjustment holes, add a welding bead on edges, etc to close up and even out body alignment inconsistencies. Are you willing to go that far?

It appears to me that your grille is bent upward on that side. Fix the grille before messing with the fender. To my knowledge there is no way to tilt the fender

I see that now. The gap to the valance below the grille in not even. LOWER the passenger/right side and it may even out the appearance.

As the owner, you know too much. Just drive it.

As the owner, you know too much. Just drive it.
It's a minor issue...unless the headlight aim is affected....don't sweat the details.

The factory knocked these cars out so fast, that very little care was taken. I had several factory errors on my GTX which were corrected....but was that the right thing to do? For safety sakes it was.

My 2 cents.......I think the fender/bucket area is warped which over time happens to these parts. I would just leave it because I did not notice until I stared for quite a while. Frankly, if I saw your car at an event I probably would not notice unless you pointed it out since you have a great looking car. :drinks:

tough to see yours, but i just dealt with this..... "nos" fender and AMD hood....... they both suck........ the old ratty fender was spot on

the other side wasn't too bad, but needed to match so it got a minor treatment

20190212_155558.jpg

20190210_225124.jpg

20190212_155456.jpg

20190212_174211.jpg

20190213_163209.jpg

20190213_164812.jpg

20190324_171223.jpg
20190324_162631.jpg
20190324_171158.jpg

Last edited:
To me it looks like someone bent the grille to match the bezel. Look at the bottom gap on the bezels, the driver's side is even, the gap on the passenger side bezel on the bottom where it meets the fender is horrible off. Check to see if the bezel is bent upward. Grab a tape measure and start doing some measuring. I'd say what ever the problem you should be able to correct it at home..

To me it looks like someone bent the grille to match the bezel. Look at the bottom gap on the bezels, the driver's side is even, the gap on the passenger side bezel on the bottom where it meets the fender is horrible off. Check to see if the bezel is bent upward. Grab a tape measure and start doing some measuring. I'd say what ever the problem you should be able to correct it at home..
Agree - and it doesn't help the eye that the pic posted isn't level, either.

Lower valance is a new AMD part but was the same witht the bent OE one. I think it got hit on this side and shoved up i will take a look at all the mounting points for the valance and headlight bucket and grill to see if i can get an inche or so down.

Last edited:
Am i seeing things? Does this car have the same issue just not as pronounced?

Going through some older photos I found this one and noticed the upper grill support is higher on the passenger side which now makes sense that the grill is pulled up and away from the lower valance.
Any Ideas on how to get this section back down?

Oqc1GbQ.jpg

Going through some older photos I found this one and noticed the upper grill support is higher on the passenger side which now makes sense that the grill is pulled up and away from the lower valance.
Any Ideas on how to get this section back down?

View attachment 765304

That would all depend on the extent of the damage from previous.. then is could be just loosening off a few bolts and see if theres any stress in the panels and if they move.. if your doors are lining nicely to the quarters, and your Fenders are lining nicely to the doors.. and your hood sits square.. it could be a minor fix..

to me it looks like the the right inside bucket is in and up. there making the headlight door fit high on the inside.. and the grill bent to match.

Ok did a little tweaking on my own let me know if it looks any better? Was able to bend down the edge of the bracket holding the 2nd bolt in from the left on the grill support piece and slightly adjust the headlight bezel screw bracket on the top. Now I think I just need to adjust the hood stop on that side to lower the hood about an 1/8 - 1/4"

After Pic
DEvITcT.jpg

Before Pic
FQpfgIe.jpg

I think that you got it. The gap between the bottom of the grille and the valance looks even now.
It appears to me that your grille is bent upward on that side. Fix the grille before messing with the fender. To my knowledge there is no way to tilt the fender

This guy was the first to mention the grille as being the problem. Good eye, that guy!

I think it looks great now. Any problems before were likely due to the Evans coolant.

Lmao

Funny i am not using it anymore although i do miss not having a pressurized system we'll see what happens this summer

I finally going to get around to fixing the lazy eye issue in the passenger side headlight.
Is there a simply adjustment to the fender bolts? how do I fix this?

Passenger side has a ever so slight drop to the left, I call it the lazy eye look.
Is this something I can fix in my garage or do I need a body shop?

vLOIwaN.jpg
Right here there should be three bolts going through to sandwich the inner fender and the connector/ backing panel behind the headlights. Leaving the bolts tight along the top of the fender, and loosening these three bolts, should allow you to lift up the outside of the front end of the fender while sliding the connecter panel upwards. once you have lifted it a bit, tighten those three bolts back up and see where you are with the drooping look. This should of lifted the top outside line up and evened up the look across the front. You will also need to take loose the fender arm brace down below till you have it right. Then bend that arm up to go back in place. Tweak the aluminum to match.
As for the rail across that holds the latch and all, that is connected to a tab on each end that is in turn welded to the fender lip. Check be sure that the tab on that end is not bent upwards. One way is to take it loose on that end and swap it to below the tab instead of on top of it. Add in a spacer to lower it till it's even across the top. Better way is to adjust the fender to bring the front down on the horizontal plane which will solve that issue, and THEN adjust the outside face up by the previously mentioned method. Some person with a fat *** may have set it down on the front corner and bent the fender down some. You have to bend it back up across all of those attached surfaces.

Oqc1GbQ_LI.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back