• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hole in the sub-frame

willem

Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
Hi there,

Today i wanted to bleed the brakes to check out why my brake warning light isn't going off. I started to jack the car up at the front driverside corner, and noticed that the subframe looked kinda soft when i was pumping up the jack. On closer inspection i found a hole in the frame, a welded patch and a frame that looks a little dented here and there.

Any ideas or opinions? i have enclosed a few pictures.

regards. Willem

20191027_144126.jpg 20191027_144132.jpg 20191027_144150.jpg 20191027_144156.jpg 20191027_144202.jpg 20191027_144207.jpg

Can I make a suggestion? get some better stands.. Ive seen those fold under weight..

On the bottom it caved in a little. on the side where i grinded of the paint, there is a hole

Weld it up.. if the hole doesnt belong to anything.just dont grind it smooth.. so your not removing any metals off to the sides of the weld.. you have access to por 15?

here's the hole. I circled it with a red line. Is that safe to patch?

hole.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on what the entire rail looks like. My 64 had mouse nests next to the K frame bolts. It was thin there and cracked. I cut it out and welded in a patch. No big deal. Now if the entire inside of the rail is all rusted that's another story. Get a $20 optical camera foe your phone and take a look inside.
Doug

It depends on what the entire rail looks like. My 64 had mouse nests next to the K frame bolts. It was thin there and cracked. I cut it out and welded in a patch. No big deal. Now if the entire inside of the rail is all rusted that's another story. Get a $20 optical camera foe your phone and take a look inside.
Doug
Will do, i just ordered a camera actually.

One question though: Suppose i find a lot of rust inside the rail, what's the story then?

Will do, i just ordered a camera actually.

One question though: Suppose i find a lot of rust inside the rail, what's the story then?
Cross that bridge if you come to it. I've been pounding on my 64 for 7 years. Yanks the wheels every pass. No issue with the repair.
Doug

But how does it work? Do i need to get a replacement rail somewhere, or get one off another oldtimer?
i mean, in case the thing is rotted out :D

Last edited:
But how does it work? Do i need to get a replacement rail somewhere, or get one off another oldtimer?
i mean, in case the thing is rotted out :D
Either a doner of I believe AMD makes them.
Doug

When I had to replace my shock towers/uca mounts, the chassis guy found the rust had spread to the frame rails. He fabricated some new ones, wasn't especially cheap, but is doable if your desperate. If you can get replacements it's obviously easier but overseas shipping costs killed it for me.

I checked, but AMD doesnt have these. Are there other manifacturers like AMD that could one of these in their supply?
Check with moparmarks on this site if you do indeed have to replace the rail. He has some nice high desert metal.

Hi there,

I have made the pictures with the endoscope as dvw suggested. Below you can see what the inside of the rail looks like. As a comparison, i have also enclosed a picture i made inside the rail on the other side (that one looks ok i think).

What do you guys think we're looking at here? Is that green stuff rust, or old dirt, or maybe some old coating that let go?

regards. Willem

20191111_1259031.png 20191111_1259045.png 20191111_1302011.png 20191111_1302043.png 20191111_1307022.png

Auto Transport Service
Back