• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley 4160 List 9210 Tuning?

69SatelliteGuy

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently picked up a NOS Holley Dominator intake and a 9210 Carb . Both still in the original boxes and probably from the mid '70s as the model years on the instructions stop around '75. Anyway, the carb seems to be running wicked rich and I figure I should re-jet it so I was wondering what was recommended. I already have replaced the seals on it. Also, it has an electric choke, so I was wondering where to connect that. Right to the coil makes sense to me, but I'm not sure. Here's a picture of the stuff-
holley.jpg

The choke to a switched 12 volt source. Not the coil. If you have a ballast resistor the voltage gets knocked down. As for the carb, when is it rich? Then lean out the appropriate circuit. Set the floats and all that too. The choke was wired open when you ran it right?

So I've got the choke hooked up to the single blue wire on the ballast resistor. I went to the local speed shop and had them order me some 0.060 jets and picked up a set of 0.053s because they had them as the next size after 71. The 53s are way too lean so I'll swap in the 60s tomorrow and see what happens. The choke was open before, now I have it hooked up to the electrical.

OK, recommendations to tune the carb for what ? Factory stock engine ? Size ? If not stock what are the changes ? What is the application ? Driver, weekend toy, race car ?
More info = better advice.

It's a stock 318 with the 904 transmission. It had a Carter 2 barrel on it. As far as I know, nothing has been changed on it except now it has the Dominator intake and carb. I'm basically trying to make a nice driver/ weekend toy. It's a 4 door with a 318 so I don't want to go crazy, just want to be able to keep up on the highways and maybe pass a few people in the fast lane:lol:

Slow down there guy! What jet was in it? 71. Well 71 to 60 is a huge leap! Try 68s. That's a decent step.get some 66s, 64s and maybe 62s. They don't have them? Order them. Don't let availability dictate tuning decisions.

The carb has what appear to be mid '70s emissions jets. 612 is on them and from that I get 61 with average flow. I ordered the 60s and will have them tomorrow. I figure he can order any size I need.

I'd get a spare tire first. Did you replace the Power Valve?

(sorry, couldn't resist. )

Auto Transport Service
Back