• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley blue fuel pump questions

Purepony

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi all so the car I purchased has a blue Holley electric pump, it’s loud but does the job. A few days after I bought car I could smell fuel from the trunk and I thought maybe it was the cap since it did leak (oil cap) and I replaced the cap and that stopped the leaking at the fuel tank tube but the pump was the pump leaking too

anyways I’m thinking of replacing it with the same pump since they removed the fuel line for the carb and it has only one line that appears custom.

by the time I order, replace, the removed line I’ll be in the same price as the pump

The questions I have is

it’s noisy any ideas on how to quiet ?
It’s wired with a fuse through a red wire on the fuses and a ground the frame. Should I add a relay ? (pros on relay or wire the same way as it is ?)
I’d prefer the stock but I do like that it stays right up all the time.

I ran Holley Blue 110 pumps on my drag cars for many years, sometimes 1 pump sometimes 2 pumps. They were noisy. Never had any leakage issues. One problem I did have, some times the vanes would stick and the flow volume would drop way off. I would take the bottom cover off and free up any stuck vane, back to normal. They were pretty durable, but when the Mallory 140 gerotor pump came out I switched to that. I presume the Blue pump is still pretty much the same as years ago.

Consider your application. Holley external pumps are noisy and there's little you can do about that. I've had electric fuel pumps on all my race cars. However, if your car is a street driven car it might be time to consider going back to a mechanical pump as long as you're going to be spending money anyway. Aftermarket external electric pumps are great but they are expensive and they generally won't outlast a mechanical pump unless they are specifically made for and advertised for continuous duty. I've had pumps in race cars that lasted for many years and some that didn't last for one season. A long time ago some manufacturers of electric fuel pumps and electric water pumps used to advertise their approximate hours of operation but that has all but disappeared. Just something to consider.

You might consider a better insulator for the mounting bracket. That thin strip of rubber supplied with it is a joke.

No way to quiet it other than chucking it in the trashcan. Insulators and trunk insulation does little to quiet it.

Where is it leaking? They are simple and have a gasket between the lower plate and body that can be easily swapped out.

You might consider a better insulator for the mounting bracket. That thin strip of rubber supplied with it is a joke.
Good point
Any recommendations ? they give you a piece of rubber that looks like a napkin

No way to quiet it other than chucking it in the trashcan. Insulators and trunk insulation does little to quiet it.

Where is it leaking? They are simple and have a gasket between the lower plate and body that can be easily swapped out.
It’s an old pump
It was leaking from the bottom. There’s probably a gasket but si de I don’t know how old it is I ordered a new one and will swap out just to feel better

the instructions say use a relay. Has anyone used a relay ?

Never used a relay, just the direct fuse. Never a problem. However now with my wiring setup I do run my Mallory through a relay. Mostly to protect the switch. Back in the day I was using MIL spec switches. Not available today.

...Any recommendations ?.......

This is not a Holley pump but a similar setup may help.

Or possibly use a heavy mud flap section to suspend it from...
upload_2021-5-9_13-1-26.png

Auto Transport Service
Back