• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Carb

Bill M

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
Don't need to beat this horse to death.

I am looking to buy a new Holley for my Bee. I don't have a holley in the garage at the moment and want to try one.

Stock 383 4spd, 30 over. Would like 650cfm.

I am getting dizzy looking at all the diff. models. Car is street machine, not building for the track specifically.

I know i am opening the flood gates here with this inquiry. But would like to get moving on the purchase.

Depends on if you prefer the Holley or the Edelbrock/Carter style. Generally as a Holley guy, my 3310-1 (780) vacuum secondary was great on my street 383. The newer versions should work well. Depends on what you learn to understand how to tune. Smaller CFM 650 -700 will work just fine also.

Depends on if you prefer the Holley or the Edelbrock/Carter style. Generally as a Holley guy, my 3310-1 (780) vacuum secondary was great on my street 383. The newer versions should work well. Depends on what you learn to understand how to tune. Smaller CFM 650 -700 will work just fine also.

IMO....
The Holley Model 4150 R-3310-1 is an excellent choice for your 383 engine. It offers great flexibility as it has secondary metering jets and vacuum operated secondaries. The only issue you may have is uses a hot air choke....but it can be converted to an electrically heated choke OR a manual operated choke via a cable, using the Holley parts available thru their web site.
The Holley R-1850 is a model 4160 using a secondary metering plate but it ihas a hot air choke but can be converted to electric or manual via a cable. The smaller carb will work very well for around town operation because of the the smaller primary throttle bores yielding high mixture velocities for sharp throttle response. However, because of the smaller primary and secondary throttle bores, it will run out of top end air flow. Tough choice but I'll vote for the R-3310-1....it's just more versatile.
BOB RENTON

I understood that the op wanted a NEW holley. They haven't made a 3310-1 for forty years at least.
I have been looking at the quick fuel "brawler" series. They have race and street series, lots of adjustability, any combo of vacuum or double pumper, whichever choke, and a better reputation for quality assembly, than a holley, even though it is a holley style carb, and they are owned by holley. They seem to have the best features of the top-of-the-line holley, for about two hundred less.
I think you would be happy with either the 650 or 750 v.s. street version.

I'm running a 3310-2 with 68 jets in it, runs like a dream. Think I bought the carb in '88 though, rebuilt it last year and reduced the jets from 70's.

I'm running a 3310-2 with 68 jets in it, runs like a dream. Think I bought the carb in '88 though, rebuilt it last year and reduced the jets from 70's.
The 3310 was always a good carb. Even back in the 70's when it was a 780. LOL Keep it simple.

The 3310 was always a good carb. Even back in the 70's when it was a 780. LOL Keep it simple.

The newer R-3310-2, -3, etc have different secondary booster venturi arrangement, where as the "old" R-3310-1 had secondary down leg booster venturii and, I believe, slightly larger secondary venturii, not the boosters, but the actual cast in place venturii. The later R-3310s are still good carbs and are easily tune-able by intalling the Promax secondary metering plate to use the screw in jets rather than the fixed orifice plate.
The "old" Model 4150 R-3310-1 can still be found on the internet or eBay in unmolested condition but beware, some carbs have been subjected to "experts" and are generally AFU, which is why they're for sale.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Quick Fuel might be a bit better than an old-school Holley. I had to replace many power valves on my old 440 Power Wagon when it popped through the carb. Never mind what Holley says about that never happening. It was too obvious..

'79 Power Wagon w a swapped in 440. Had to put converters on it for MD emissions at the time - early 90's. When the PV went, the rich mixture would light off in the converters, they would glow red at night, then melt the aft hangers, then the exhaust would rest on the rear axle. Fun, fun.

Quick Fuel might be a bit better than an old-school Holley. I had to replace many power valves on my old 440 Power Wagon when it popped through the carb. Never mind what Holley says about that never happening. It was too obvious..

'79 Power Wagon w a swapped in 440. Had to put converters on it for MD emissions at the time - early 90's. When the PV went, the rich mixture would light off in the converters, they would glow red at night, then melt the aft hangers, then the exhaust would rest on the rear axle. Fun, fun.

The fix for the power valve diaphragm failures was to install the Holley Power Valve protection kit which prevents the positive pressure surge from damaging the diaphragm. I install the kit on every Holley I have, whether having a power valve failure or not.....$ 15.00 for the kit....cheap insurance.
BOB RENTON

FYI, ya my 3310-1 experience was from the early/mid 70's. The features are what I'd look for in a newer carb. The Quick Fuel 750 versions do look good for the price. The Slayer 750-VS looks comparable to the 3310-1. My 3310-1 took very little tuning effort, main jet changes of 2 numbers at most, did try couple different vacuum springs. All that looks same in the Quick Fuel.

FYI, ya my 3310-1 experience was from the early/mid 70's. The features are what I'd look for in a newer carb. The Quick Fuel 750 versions do look good for the price. The Slayer 750-VS looks comparable to the 3310-1. My 3310-1 took very little tuning effort, main jet changes of 2 numbers at most, did try couple different vacuum springs. All that looks same in the Quick Fuel.

Your correct re the origional R-3310-1 tuning....very few changes required to grt it "dialed in". My own philosophy is the correct carb for my intended application is the first consideration, tuning ease (should it be requied) second, availability of components third, ease of installation fourth, and price is the last consideration.
BOB RENTON

Hey Bob, can u post the number for that kit? Thanks. Kim
KIM,
From Holley's web site
www.holley.com/products/tools/carburetor_tools/parts/125-500

Power valve "blowout" protection can now be added to pre '92 model 2300, 4150 and 4160 carburetors. Consisting of a spring, brass seat and check ball, this kit will effectively protect the power valve and is easy to install. Included is the proper drill bit size, with stop, to facilitate installation. Detailed instructions are included.
Features:
  • spring
  • Brass Seat
  • Check Ball
  • Protects Power Valve
  • Easy To Install
  • Proper Drill Bit Size w/Stop
Website price was ~ $18.00 + shipping
BOB RENTON

A few months back I just went down to autozone and picked up a 600 Holley. It’s what was in stock. Works great on a stock engine that’s not turning past 5000 rpm. I put it on a stock low compression 440 by the way.

IMO....
The Holley Model 4150 R-3310-1 is an excellent choice for your 383 engine. It offers great flexibility as it has secondary metering jets and vacuum operated secondaries. The only issue you may have is uses a hot air choke....but it can be converted to an electrically heated choke OR a manual operated choke via a cable, using the Holley parts available thru their web site.
The Holley R-1850 is a model 4160 using a secondary metering plate but it ihas a hot air choke but can be converted to electric or manual via a cable. The smaller carb will work very well for around town operation because of the the smaller primary throttle bores yielding high mixture velocities for sharp throttle response. However, because of the smaller primary and secondary throttle bores, it will run out of top end air flow. Tough choice but I'll vote for the R-3310-1....it's just more versatile.
BOB RENTON
All great information thank you.

I just put a Quick Fuel Brawler 650 dp with electric choke on a new 340 build. Runs awesome. Holley owns QF. Kim

I think i am going to go with this quick fuel Brawler but a 750.

Looks to me as a improved Holley

Auto Transport Service
Back