• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley dominator to run a gen3...thoughts??

Torkmnstr

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Ive heard the Mopar harness is kinda of a pain to tune. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Holley setup?? Thanks.

Snake I should have stated, it’s for my 15 392 drop out. Another member told me it won’t run vvt....

I used a dominator on a VVT hemi, and I fully locked the VVT out, and swapped to an early grind cam.
Supposedly if you don't lock the VVT, and leave something like an OE cam, it reverts to neutral state and VVT just doesn't function. What i found is that locking a stock cam, just limits the RPM range to a very low rpm window. Had i did some math on degreeing, and modified the timing set, i probably could have changed that, but wasn't worth the effort when swapping to an early grind cam was ultimately the solution anyways.

Hey Johnny nice to hear from you again. Yes I was reading that on the Holley website. How’s blueprint treating ya? What’s your experience with the Mopar gen3 harness? Is it worth running the VVT?

Hey Johnny nice to hear from you again. Yes I was reading that on the Holley website. How’s blueprint treating ya? What’s your experience with the Mopar gen3 harness? Is it worth running the VVT?
Hey Buddy, BluePrint is an awesome company! We sell alot of 408 stroker smallblocks, so I haven't been over here as much! I need to catch up.

I really like the holley software, and the holley dominator. It does everything it should. Its probably more expensive than the mopar performance controller kit, but I did like it. If you recall i developed a 470 HP eagle hemi at my past endeavor using the Dominator.

From my understanding, any "big" VVT grind cam requires locking or limiting the cam advance. If i was starting from scratch, being the mopar harness allegedly has an unlocked ECU that can be tuned, it may be worth messing with. I think with a 2015, you're beyond the early 6.4 years where the reluctor spacing was different enough to be an issue. When i designed the holley driven eagle, the mopar ECU/harness wasn't out yet. We had HP tuners, so we may have gone that way. Just remember the holley can do about anything, and any non-oe configurations require HP tuners on top of the mopar kit.... that would be my deciding factor. Your comfort level and availability to use HP...or the Holley software, based on how stock, or not stock, you are going.

Do you plan on camming it? or just rolling it stock?

I want to cam it before it goes in and yes the ones I’m looking at run a phaser limiter kit. I actually called Mopar and asked about the ecu and he told it was unlocked my HP tuners. My guy has HP tuners which should make it somewhat easier. The guy he tunes with mentioned to him that the Mopar harness was a pain to tune apparently. Not sure why it was though....

I want to cam it before it goes in and yes the ones I’m looking at run a phaser limiter kit. I actually called Mopar and asked about the ecu and he told it was unlocked my HP tuners. My guy has HP tuners which should make it somewhat easier. The guy he tunes with mentioned to him that the Mopar harness was a pain to tune apparently. Not sure why it was though....
I have 4 late model hemi's, both VVT and Non. the factory ECU is a bugger after 2015 because its locked. BUT..these are unlocked... so if they can tune a 2014 and older charger or ram...not sure why the mopar kit would be any different. thats w/o having ever touched one however

Fingers crossed it goes well....hey I looked the other day on pace for the gen3 store and I couldn’t find anything. Did they wipe clean after you left?!

Fingers crossed it goes well....hey I looked the other day on pace for the gen3 store and I couldn’t find anything. Did they wipe clean after you left?!
Yup, They were more comfortable with their GM background. They're still a good company. They do sell blueprint engines also. Quite a few in fact. They are just 99% GM only at this point.

Any thoughts on A2Speed? I was looking at valve covers with the catch can built in. One of mine is macked from removing it apparently.

Well if my forum buddies bough more BluePrint mopar crate engines, or came to me for snipers, or distributors...etc... I'd have more in the Mopar R&D budget, for things like Hemi's...or high po 408's ;)

Any thoughts on A2Speed? I was looking at valve covers with the catch can built in. One of mine is macked from removing it apparently.
i have heard of them, but can't say i have done any business with them. If i recall they are tied to a much larger name in the business.

Well I decided to pull the trigger on the holley dominator unit. I will just run the locked out cam etc....

Auto Transport Service
Back