• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley sniper/fitech install with 69’ airgrabber questions

4mulas

Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, thinking very seriously about upgrading to a fuel injection system for all the same reasons most people do- ease of starting, altitude fluctuations, economy etc.... not too concerned if I gain or lose 10-15 horsepower etc.... just want reliability..

I think I am leaning toward the Holley sniper 550-510 (511,516) with a new tank, Holley 19-139 that has the pump in it.

Motor is a 383 30 over with 275 DEH cam. Any recommends as to which brand of EFI and why is also appreciated.

My primary reasons for the EFI are - On occasion I would experience vapour lock and almost always had bad hot starts after the car has sat for more than 10 minutes, cold starts are currently reasonable providing the car hasn’t sat for more than a week. Dang fuel is so cheap these days....when running the carb performs fine but I’m tired of the other issues, enough so to make me contemplate this change.

The large aircleaner base will hide all the EFI well which is appealing to me as my car is near 100% oe correct right now and although that’s not the end all be all for me it’s still kind of important to keep it remaining stock looking if possible..

Questions

- has anyone with a 1969 N96 airgrabber used either one of these systems (sniper or fitech) and does the air cleaner base fit over the throttle body without interfering with anything

- is the over all height once installed the same as the carb so’s not to interfere with the airgrabber above when the hood is closed

- I think they recommend 3/8 fuel lines for supply and return, has anyone or do you think it would be okay to use the existing 5/16” line as a return and install a new 3/8 for the supply? Or even use the exiting 5/16” for supply and install another one for the return.

- is the stock 383 manifold a compatible with the EFI, someone was trying to tell me certain intake runners didn’t do well with EFI, he was a ford guy, so I take everything with a. Grain of salt when it comes from him.. lol.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
I don't think you would have any height issues. Using the 5/16" line as a return is fine too. I think the sniper is a great choice

I bought the correct drop-base air cleaner for my Sniper, and there was oodles of room....more than enough to clear the supply and return fuel lines.
My vote is for the Sniper, for ease of installation and reliability. :thumbsup:

Hi all, thinking very seriously about upgrading to a fuel injection system for all the same reasons most people do- ease of starting, altitude fluctuations, economy etc.... not too concerned if I gain or lose 10-15 horsepower etc.... just want reliability..

I think I am leaning toward the Holley sniper 550-510 (511,516) with a new tank, Holley 19-139 that has the pump in it.

Motor is a 383 30 over with 275 DEH cam. Any recommends as to which brand of EFI and why is also appreciated.

My primary reasons for the EFI are - On occasion I would experience vapour lock and almost always had bad hot starts after the car has sat for more than 10 minutes, cold starts are currently reasonable providing the car hasn’t sat for more than a week. Dang fuel is so cheap these days....when running the carb performs fine but I’m tired of the other issues, enough so to make me contemplate this change.

The large aircleaner base will hide all the EFI well which is appealing to me as my car is near 100% oe correct right now and although that’s not the end all be all for me it’s still kind of important to keep it remaining stock looking if possible..

Questions

- has anyone with a 1969 N96 airgrabber used either one of these systems (sniper or fitech) and does the air cleaner base fit over the throttle body without interfering with anything

- is the over all height once installed the same as the carb so’s not to interfere with the airgrabber above when the hood is closed

- I think they recommend 3/8 fuel lines for supply and return, has anyone or do you think it would be okay to use the existing 5/16” line as a return and install a new 3/8 for the supply? Or even use the exiting 5/16” for supply and install another one for the return.

- is the stock 383 manifold a compatible with the EFI, someone was trying to tell me certain intake runners didn’t do well with EFI, he was a ford guy, so I take everything with a. Grain of salt when it comes from him.. lol.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
If you are using stock lines, make sure they are clean. But above all, make sure that the fittings you use to connect the fuel lines can easily handle the required fuel line pressure - Sniper is 57.5psi

I bought the correct drop-base air cleaner for my Sniper, and there was oodles of room....more than enough to clear the supply and return fuel lines.
My vote is for the Sniper, for ease of installation and reliability. :thumbsup:

Drop base air cleaner? Part of my concern was being able to use my air grabber air cleaner base. Is there a drop cleaner base available for the air grabber? Is it even required?

Drop base air cleaner? Part of my concern was being able to use my air grabber air cleaner base. Is there a drop cleaner base available for the air grabber? Is it even required?
I don't think it is required really, but I had already bought it before I set up my fuel lines...so I am using it now. The fuel lines at the TB unit don't interfere any more than regular lines IMHO....no real need for a drop base, as there is plenty of room available.

holley has decent tech support , i'd ask about the 5/16 line. I'm sure 3/8 factory line was used for 440 and hemi applications, just buy 2 and sister them together. Nice and neat. I use the sniper for my hemi coronet, sacrificed some horsepower but the improvement in every other area makes it a fair trade.
I had a machine shop mill 1 inch from the center plenum in the single four intake I used, did this as a precaution because I heard all the same things about efi and dual plane manifolds. Holley says it is not necessary.
Starts first time hot or cold, no more raw gasoline fumes in the house after you park.

I used -6AN lines for supply and return.....on a healthy 408 small block. No issues running out of fuel.

Not sure about clearances, but Edelbrock PF4 is working good on mine. 600 miles so far.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/posts/911176676/

I Read the whole thread! I have a 383 and they don’t make it for that, just RB’s like your 440. I also want to keep the airgrabber set and try to stay as close to OEM look as possible. Glad you are having great success with yours! I was also watching your 5 speed thread too for another car I have...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back