• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Sniper Throttle Help

1969 beep beep

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. I installed a Holley Sniper on my B engine on a 69 Roadrunner manual transmission. I am having an issue with the sniper throttle. It is kind of difficult to drive this thing from a dead stop. It feels like the pedal is kind of firm then it’s very aggressive to the point where it chirps the tires. Driving it makes me feel like the first day I drove a manual trans. Lol I have read up on this issue with the sniper.

I purchased the Holley throttle lever extension. I am running an aftermarket Holley street dominator with Ar engineering tall throttle bracket. I know adding the extension will make it easier to open the throttle blades because of more leverage by changing the geometry, but I can’t get the stock throttle cable to work. Without the Holley extension the stock throttle cable works perfectly on the Sniper with the AR throttle bracket. With the extension the cable is to short and pressing the pedal won’t open the throttle blades to 100%. Cable setup worked perfectly on my Holley Carb.

Not sure if I need a Lokar throttle cable or a different throttle cable mount.

It’s like the cable needs to be extended but doesn’t have the travel to open the blades to 100%

Any help would be great.

I would make a little extension out of alum stock from extended lever to the stock cable and secure with a couple little bolts with locknuts. Then drive it and see if you like it. If it's better, I'd look at a lokar cable and pedal setup. It's a few hundred so make sure that it'll solve the issue first. I had the progressive link on my Sniper due to same "touchy" throttle issue. My remote tuner asked me to go back to stock and he made some adjustments with the tune file. I haven't driven it really just yet to see if it really worked. I couldn't leave from a light without barking the tires before due to being a 4 speed car.

Pics of what you got going on?

If you need a longer cable order one that fits a 6 cylinder dart. Probably around $25 bucks

I made my own bracket. My trick was to locate the pivot ahead of and above the pivot point. WOT was tricky as the normal mounting point left very little mechanical advantage to open the blades all the way (the tall tab was cut off after the experiment).
20201216_175252.jpg

Mega Parts has a longer throttle cable if that's what your looking for. I have the Sniper with an Edelbrock RPM and had to get the longer cable. Works good now.

Here are some pics with the current setup without the throttle bracket extension. This way works great except for the pedal issue. I will add some pics later with the throttle bracket extension installed.

4D5F1469-2691-452D-9B91-FE931852BF2D.jpeg ECFC64FF-1D51-42C9-886C-62031EC2F4B8.jpeg EAAD30AF-22AB-49B2-A807-4D22AC126762.jpeg

I used the stock cable on a torker 383 intake with stock kickdown and brackets.

BPPQ1435[1].JPG

Beep Beep RR, are you using the Holley throttle extension ?

No everything is stock except the intake and Sniper. If you would like I can go take a better side shot of the setup. Truth be told I would rather do the Lokar setup for both the throttle and kickdown.But this works and I can do WOT.

I stand corrected... I didn't realize that there is an extension on the cable itself. I don't remember putting it on there. It doesn't look holley it looks like a bracket that was just laying around. Anyhow the geometry is not great but it works.

Last edited:
From what I remember I can’t use the stock throttle bracket because of the Holley intake.

Here is the setup. I took the kickdown rod and spring off. But didn't remember that extension being on there.

IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG

I'm using Fitech, which uses Holley linkage, and RPM manifold on my B block. Used stock extended 4bbl cable instead of stock 2bbl cable. Used stock kickdown but used turnbuckle and allthread to extend my vertical rod and horizontal rod. Used Mancini bracket for the kickdown bellcrank. Then drilled hole as this video shows so it has the proper ratio. Works perfect.
20210731_124418.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Fitech throttle bracket along with a Billet Specialties Pedal and Summit cable on mine. Bracket is great. I've had no issues with the cable but would probably try a lokar next time just to see if the quality is better or it could be same part summit is selling.

I installed the cheaper MrGasket throttle cable on my buddys GTX and it was decent and worked well for less than half the price of the Lokar setup.

You will need this too. mounts to the rear driver side carb bolt.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mr-gasket-chrome-plated-throttle-cable-bracket-6039/5023041-p

Here is the MrGasket one.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...aHUl9O4RoChucQAvD_BwE&store=6104&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hell even this Summit branded one looks good.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...7V8W_xoQOfGF4nS-cVRbwH6VKFTI2c3RoCOUcQAvD_BwE

I installed the Holley adapter bracket as in below link on my Sniper stealth.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/parts/20-7

It helps to improve the geometry to ease it out a bit, but 2 other points i think are also responsible for the "aggressive" style the Holley snipers have:
1: The throttle is progressive and uses all 4 throttle blades, so there is no primary first and secondary's later....all 4 blades will open early making it a little harder to control.
2: This is more my own case, my double throttle return springs are quite stiff and not always easy to adjust the foot to this pressure after driving my daily car all week.

I used a little longer throttle cable and higher cable brackets i purchased from Mancini, i did this to overcome the difference in height with my Edelbrock Performer rpm manifold.
Not sure what intake you are using but for my setup it really improved the operating ease of the throttle cable as it sits nice and straight in front of the throttle bracket.
Before it was under a relatively big angle because the cable was too short and that also did cause more stiff pedal feel due to the friction it caused.

Hi guys,

Just an update. I drove the car on the weekend. The pedal is just way to light for my liking. It definitely has to do with all four blades opening at once. I tried changing the cable angle but not any real difference.

Here are some pics with the extension lever installed. I was not able to test it like this because the cable is short by 3/4 of an inch minimum.

First picture shows how short the cable is.

Second picture is without pushing the gas pedal. Throttle blades not closing because of short cable.

Third picture is with the pedal down to the floor and the throttle blades at 100%

8B76BC2F-416C-4819-A274-FA14AB72A533.jpeg

BF132DAE-94BB-43A1-8F1C-64C980E140CA.jpeg

91CBFBBA-3091-41C3-A017-CBA53574C8C3.jpeg

Wietse, I am running the Holley street dominator intake 383.

See below link, this cable is 1" longer than original.
I used this on my '69 Coronet combined with the Holley adapter bracket and works perfect for a little taller manifold.
I also ordered that same bracket you have there but with me it did not work out.

https://www.manciniracing.com/marathca4.html

Last edited:
See below link, this cable is 1" longer than original.
I used this on my '69 Coronet combined with the Holley adapter bracket and works perfect for a little taller manifold.
I also ordered that same bracket you have there but with me it did not work out.
Thanks for the info. I don’t see the links.

Auto Transport Service
Back