• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Grail

Ding's Garage

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
Morning.I am going to build a max wedge clone. I really would like to use a solid lifter set up. ( They sound cool). Being a little more serious. I will go to the drag strip weekly and play.But I will drive the car around the rest of the time.Normal street car stuff. Are they really that much of a pain in the butt to deal with? I can handle adjustment once in a while. Comments please.

If you have the skill set....No they are not hard to deal with....

Even better if it is going to be a four speed...Best of luck on the restoration...

Not bad,if you use good quality parts you may only have to check/adjust once or twice a season. Sounds like a fun build.

I agree. I've been told by several users they check them twice a year and only have to adjust occasionally.

We ran a Max Wedge- first II then III then Aluminum
4 speed was replaced with TF
Isky developed his ONLY .904 lifter design- I think it was the 1012B- very consistent- until recently we were still using it to dial in chassis
Then Racer Brown developed a good cam more top end- less mid range worked on bad tracks (remember the tires we had to use back then)
Lift was limited
All of these have been obsoleted with modern valve springs, TI retainers (if legal)
A modern .904 master solid with EDM lifters will work fine (as will iron rockers) modern cams use less clearance and do not need adjustment often

with roller rockers and above a certain lift you have to raise the rocker shafts - doing a full geometry - mid lift drill to have longevity
I would run hollow pushrods for oil to the rocker cups/ balls- always a weak point
Can you run modern combustion chamber heads? Makes a BIG difference once you pick your heads post up the flows
Run a stroker if you have to buy a rotating assembly you will run much lighter pistons than stock- a very good thing 413, 426 or 440 block
Think aftermarket block if you are going to make real horsepower- otherwise build for show and go, fun
Dana with a 4 speed, external dual oil pickups
I know of a project where they are building a Dart Wagon painted to match a popular B Body Max wedge car...fun project

I have two solid lifter motors (318 poly and 440) which I try and drive regularly. No issues with either of them being a pain to adjust. I like the simplicity of them and yes, the sound of the tappitytappitytappity is kind of cool. As long as they are broke in correctly and get a good diet of zddp oil they will be fine.

Disclaimer mine is a solid roller.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. In mpls Minnesota a guy has a shop he races mopar on a national level. I will have him do all the machine work. All it takes is money right lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back