• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Roller

Imperial One

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Holy Roller is a World War II Sherman tank that has been on display in my community for nearly 75 years. It is a D-Day veteran, having rolled off the transport 45 minutes after the invasion began. It fought through Western Europe all the way to the end of the war. They apparently never lost a crew member despite having fought in 14 battles and having been hit by enemy fire. It is apparently only one of two Canadian tanks to survive to the end of the war that participated in the D- Day invasion. Don't remember where I saw it, but I think the starting number was something like 346. Now that is what I call attrition!

Holy-Roller-Restored.jpg

The tank was in a downtown park. When my kids were young they crawled all over it (like all the kids - this wasn't frowned on then). After many years the tank was in danger of rusting away to nothing so it was "restored" to a conservation status and returned to the park. It's a great story. Here are some links:

And a video:

Lots of stuff to see. Just google it.

The 78th anniversary of the D-Day invasion is coming up on June 6. Spare a thought for those who never came home.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back