• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

home testing on 5 intake manifolds

gtxrt

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
testing on a 67 Newport mild 440 rebuilt with posi 294 gears. stock 11 inch 383 hp converter. don't let the 294 gears fool you burns the tires off the line and has lot of bottom end. makes power from idle to 5200 rpms revs to 6000 with out falling on it's face. never had the stock iron intake. first Edelbrock performer than changed to a iron intake with mild port by Wilson porting which i bought from a forum member. picked up a little bottom end and noticeable power upper mid and higher rpms. then the ch4b touch less bottom end and maybe a little better higher rpms big disappointment for me. the holley street dominator next, way less throttle response and bottom end but at 3500 rpms the power came on with noticeable more power than any previous intake. the last one, edelbrock rpm performer, got my throttle response back and bottom end and pulled the same as the holley to 5500 rpms as high as i went. really a no brainer for the street. really just what i always read about street dominator vs the rpm performer and also about the the regular performer not much better than stock. all comments or disagreements are welcome.

Last edited:
Yep

Yep

And Yep

Except I had 3:23 Gears
Pretty much same results on the butt meter years ago

Yes your results are inline with Dyno tests done in The past. The butt accelerometer is deceiving. Best to go the the drag strip to see the measured results. Also there is always the differences in weather to consider on any loss or gain.

barometer
temp
humidity
water grains.

it makes more of a difference than you think.

Yes your results are inline with Dyno tests done in The past. The butt accelerometer is deceiving. Best to go the the drag strip to see the measured results. Also there is always the differences in weather to consider on any loss or gain.

barometer
temp
humidity
water grains.

i agree on the first three intakes but on the holley vs rpm you can really feel the throttle responds, bottom end and just watching the tach when it turns on. from 3500-5200 rpms like you said it's tough call which intake unless your on a dyno.

The Holley Street Dominator , like said , was not the Torque Monster like many had stated on the 440 comparing it down low like a dual plane intake

Fun on the Highway

But off idle stoplight to stoplight - Dog

Timing , carbs , nothing - Other then a 4 speed or 3,000 RPM Converter

my biggest take away was the bad low end performance of the holley , the ported iron intake running so good with no loss on the bottom and for any one wanting the stock look and running the fresh air hood. and the performer intake sort of worthless. ch4b not being a big deal and reading it performs like the edelbrock rpm on top end... no way

Because I went with Holley Sniper fuel injection I had to run a single plane so I went with the Street Dominator. The Torker that I bought had a crack in it and it is pretty tall.
Haven’t run it in the car yet but it made good power and torque on he dyno. My thoughts were that having a four speed would make it easier to work with any loss of low end. I guess we shall see.

testing on a 67 Newport mild 440 rebuilt with posi 294 gears. stock 11 inch 383 hp converter. don't let the 294 gears fool you burns the tires off the line and has lot of bottom end. makes power from idle to 5200 rpms revs to 6000 with out falling on it's face. never had the stock iron intake. first Edelbrock performer than changed to a iron intake with mild port by Wilson porting which i bought from a forum member. picked up a little bottom end and noticeable power upper mid and higher rpms. then the ch4b touch less bottom end and maybe a little better higher rpms big disappointment for me. the holley street dominator next, way less throttle response and bottom end but at 3500 rpms the power came on with noticeable more power than any previous intake. the last one, edelbrock rpm performer, got my throttle response back and bottom end and pulled the same as the holley to 5500 rpms as high as i went. really a no brainer for the street. really just what i always read about street dominator vs the rpm performer and also about the the regular performer not much better than stock. all comments or disagreements are welcome.

Thanks for the info sir. Is this butt dyno numbers? Did you happen to compare fuel mileage?

Thanks for the info sir. Is this butt dyno numbers? Did you happen to compare fuel mileage?
yes butt dyno for gas mileage all seem about the same expect for holley seem like it use more gas.

barometer
temp
humidity
water grains.

Absolutely.....The factors noted comprises all components used to measure air density, usually expressed as pounds per hour, or grams per second or some quantifiable common value. Sometimes the barometric value is expressed as manifold absolute pressure (MAP), which is opposite of manifold vacuum expressed as inches of mercury. And makes ALL the differences in the determination. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Thanks for doing a butt-o-meter test. We’ve seen the countless on paper tests, it’s nice to see a real world test. Dyno sheets are for children’s beds! :rofl:
(Kidding btw, it’s important to have a paper and a real world comparison)

AA2D4399-E05E-4A38-9B12-963280716EF6.jpeg

440 intakes have always been about stock hood clearance, really.
You wanna hole or a scoop? Then you have more options.
All this has been sorted by folks far more knowledgeable, with access to far more expensive
testing equipment, than most of us here...
Nothing new under the sun.

Some examples of 440 aftermarket intake heights:
Edelbrock Performer RPM #7193 5.35"
Edelbrock Performer #2191 4.300"
Holley Strip Dominator #300-14 5.19"
Edelbrock #CH-28 (2x4bbl) 4.66"
Speedmaster 7.00" (!!)
Edelbrock Torker 2: 5.200"

Auto Transport Service
Back