• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood clearance

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
My Holley sitting on my 340 is not going to clear my stock hood. I am wondering what the height difference is between the flat Satellite hood and say an air grabber hood is in the area of the carb.

1970 Satellite with a MOPAR highrise manifold on top of a 340.

How tall of intake? Edelbrock air gap is a nice manifold for small blocks and fits under the hood easily with a drop base.

1E7EF818-41B8-4EA3-A696-C81B5D92E8E4.jpeg
1A757E94-F428-4D3E-8122-DDB758D3753E.jpeg
Its called an M1 not sure about the height.

Put a proper drop cleaner assembly on it and there'll be no issue.
Yeah that air cleaner is just something I had from my old engine. But what type of drop base will clear all that linkage I am wondering.

I'm thinking even a standard OE cleaner assembly would clear the hood (and linkages), but could be wrong.
superbirdcleanup2015-2016 054.JPG

Auto store. Mine slight modifcation for choke, but the drop down gave enough clearance even with a 1/2 spacer. See if the guy at the store has one already open or will let you do a test fit.

Yeah, you need to get rid of that air cleaner assembly. Any of the standard 1.25" drop bases with a 2.5" or maybe even a 3" filter will work just fine. I like to use the K&N filtered tops with a drop base if you are not concerned with it looking original. Adds a bunch to the total airflow.

Yes, you do need a drop base air cleaner. You could also add K Frame spacers if more clearance is still needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back