• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Insulation Part Numbers

Maxrat

Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
My original hood insulation pad has (I believe) part numbers stenciled across it. I kept it for years now hoping one day to make a stencil and paint it on a new pad. I can read all of it except the extreme left side. Does anyone have additional pictures to show what's missing?

IMG_5129.JPG IMG_5136.JPG

If it were a Mopar part number it would be a 7 digit numerical number, most likely starting with a 2 for our first gens.
For example my 67 part number is 2785522. It is called hood silencer in the parts book BTW.

If it were a Mopar part number it would be a 7 digit numerical number, most likely starting with a 2 for our first gens.
For example my 67 part number is 2785522. It is called hood silencer in the parts book BTW.

IMG_5138.JPG

That is not an original hood pad it’s a reproduction. Originals are molded to the bottom of the hood webbing shape and have no numbers on them.

That is not an original hood pad it’s a reproduction. Originals are molded to the bottom of the hood webbing shape and have no numbers on them.

My car was an unmolested neglected survivor. I knew the owner and he didn't do maintenance like replacing hood insulation. If anything he would have ripped it out.

66 Charger  4-26-11 001.jpg

My car was an unmolested neglected survivor. I knew the owner and he didn't do maintenance like replacing hood insulation. If anything he would have ripped it out.

View attachment 1099413

It's worthy to note that the lettering / numbers are offset to the left exactly like the engine is offset. I believe the offset is around 1 1/2" to the left.

I am pretty certain that the hood pad as pictured is the generic style fiberglass pads that were sold prior to the more correct molded pads became available. They still sell them as an alternative to the molded pads. Also, hard to tell, but it appears that the attaching clips are the plastic style which was first started back in 1973. For cars this old, it is hard to say what all has been changed through the years.

I have only seen one NOS molded hood pad and had no numbers printed anywhere on the item.

I am pretty certain that the hood pad as pictured is the generic style fiberglass pads that were sold prior to the more correct molded pads became available. They still sell them as an alternative to the molded pads. Also, hard to tell, but it appears that the attaching clips are the plastic style which was first started back in 1973. For cars this old, it is hard to say what all has been changed through the years.

I have only seen one NOS molded hood pad and had no numbers printed anywhere on the item.

I wrote Knauf -- the company that made the hood insulation. Waiting on a reply.

Sorry, the hood pad in your photos is a reproduction. Your story sounds good but the picture tells the story. Here is a (Bad) photo of an original. Notice it is molded to fit the hood ribs. Notice to bottom edge is very straight and your is wavy. It has no smooth top layer Like yours and no printing on it.

A little bit about my level of knowledge. I’ve been into these cars since 1984. I went to junkyards in a large metropolitan area regularly to find original parts for my cars. There were plenty of 4 door cars there. And there was going to be more cars arrive next week. There were very few reproduction parts for 66-67 B-bodies made in the 80’s. I’m not making this stuff up.

B1FAF761-4687-47C1-A360-7104D6768BCC.jpeg D3759DAD-6B72-4A8A-98C1-93AA20A3C119.jpeg

Sorry, the hood pad in your photos is a reproduction. Your story sounds good but the picture tells the story. Here is a (Bad) photo of an original. Notice it is molded to fit the hood ribs. Notice to bottom edge is very straight and your is wavy. It has no smooth top layer Like yours and no printing on it.

A little bit about my level of knowledge. I’ve been into these cars since 1984. I went to junkyards in a large metropolitan area regularly to find original parts for my cars. There were plenty of 4 door cars there. And there was going to be more cars arrive next week. There were very few reproduction parts for 66-67 B-bodies made in the 80’s. I’m not making this stuff up.

View attachment 1099504 View attachment 1099505

I really appreciate the photos. I believe I'll order the molded pad and get metal clips. Any recommendations on who to get the correct pad from?

You have two different choices for the molded hood pads. The two different manufacturers are Repops out of AR or REM out of PA. Repops will retail the pads where with REM, you will have to purchase from one of their vendors. I am sure that Repops has vendors as well. So you can contact your vendor of choice on purchasing the pad. You will find pricing between $85 to $130 for the molded pads.

Due to the size and how fragile they are, some vendors will not offer the molded pads. The pads incur the "oversize" shipping charges due to the large box in which they are shipped in. That is why so many of the vendors choose to offer the incorrect mats which can be rolled up and crammed into a much smaller package.

As for as the metal clips, there is at least 3 possibly 4 different manufacturers that makes the clips that I am aware of. I have tried them all and none work as well as the factory clips. The clips are not cheap either. for the 66-67 pad, I believe that it takes 22 clips. Most retailers charge between $1.50 to $2.00 per clip.

I will have the pads and clips available at the July Carlisle show, if you can wait that long to save on the shipping and if your attending the event. Otherwise, I can ship one out.

Auto Transport Service
Back