• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Insulation

gtxno1

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys what are you doing for hood insulation I know its a silly question but it makes more sense at this point in time to learn what is good or bad out there before making purchases saves both time and money. Ordered all new seat covers and cushions last month can not wait till they arrive with all of your help went with legendary thanks. 67 B body

Excellent point. I'm looking into getting one for my car, so I'll be watching this thread!

:thumbsup:

buy one that is like the original ones
Mopar used molded hood insulation pads on most models when an upgrade package was ordered. The pad was approx 1/2" thick. 62-65 cars used a wide, rectangular, metal clip to hold the insulation to the underside of the hood. 67-71 cars used narrow, rectangular, metal clips. And 72 and up cars used narrow, curved, black plastic clips.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/hood-insulation-pad-hood-related/

I think the only reason they did this was for helping to keep the engine warm in colder weather. My 300 which was made to order didn't have one and it is a Chicago car. My dad's old Ford had one on it [in Chicago]. Some have it, others don't. My brother's satellite didn't have one but he installed one, and now he sometime wonders if he should have because now it holds heat on a summer day. His was fron NV. Just some food for thought, Good Luck.

The most correct pads are the molded fiberglass style as manufactured through REM and I believe that Repops may manufacture them as well. These pads are molded to fit the contours of the inner hood support structure. They have to be shipped flat due to the molded contours and are quite fragile around the edges.
The hood pads were sold as a sound deadening option for the new cars. Cars optioned with the hood pad also received a heavy undercoating to the entire floor pans of the car. This was the manner in which the manufactures worked to control the inner noise level inside the cars.
For the attaching pins, I have yet to find any that are of the quality of the original pins. I would try to locate good used ones if at all possible.

Agreed on the REM. It is the more expensive one at Classic Industries plus it gets a shipping premium because it is hard moulded and can't be folded/rolled.

The most correct pads are the molded fiberglass style as manufactured through REM and I believe that Repops may manufacture them as well. These pads are molded to fit the contours of the inner hood support structure. They have to be shipped flat due to the molded contours and are quite fragile around the edges.
The hood pads were sold as a sound deadening option for the new cars. Cars optioned with the hood pad also received a heavy undercoating to the entire floor pans of the car. This was the manner in which the manufactures worked to control the inner noise level inside the cars.
For the attaching pins, I have yet to find any that are of the quality of the original pins. I would try to locate good used ones if at all possible.

Correct. My '68 Coronet has the "Protection Package" code which included:

Rubber Floor mats (which I believe I have the original rears)
Undercoating
Hood Insulation
Bumper Guards

Yeah but doesn't having one on in warmer locales keep the hood paint from blistering?

Yeah but doesn't having one on in warmer locales keep the hood paint from blistering?

I think that is an old myth. If that was true why doesn't the paint on the engine itself blister. It is for noise reduction as far as I know.

Correct on the myth, even the paint on the valve covers does not blister next to the exhaust manifolds. Back in the day, sound suppression was not very important to the performance cars. Take a look at the C-Body cars from that time frame and many of them had the hood pads and extra insulation to give the car a bit more insulation from engine and road noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back