• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood safety latch for 64 Dodge

Ski 61701

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
I have run into yet another little set back. I had sent my original 64 Dodge safety latch to be cleaned up an reanodized. I left the parts wrapped up and low and behold the return spring is now broken. I think the chemical process must have weakened the tension in the spring sure enough it is in 2 pieces held on by he rivet.
So I get another 64 hood safety latch and it is pretty clean but I decided to soak it in evaporrust to clean up the light surface rust. I left it soak overnight. sure enough this spring has now broken. I have no idea what in the heck is going on here.
So I am in need for an idea where to buy just a spring. I checked lowes and menards hardware and no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ski

20200308_124353.jpg 20200308_124346.jpg

I'll bet no one reproduces that specific spring. Ma Mopar probably didn't have it available either but just the latch assembly. You could check the parts book if you have one. It looks like you need another latch to cannibalize to get the spring out of. Did you try googling small springs. There are companies out there that just make springs and may have something close to what you need.

This current latch is one I had bought to replace my original latch. Ive been trying to figure out the proper terminology for the type of spring that is broken. Im searching on my end..trust me. Uuuughhh

Sorry for your luck on that spring. A real kick in the Nu!!!!!!!!!s. Hope you locate one. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Agree with toolmanmike that it's a torsion spring. Take a look here for a replacement after you've removed one of the springs so that you can get some decent measurements of it....https://www.mcmaster.com/springs/spring-type~torsion/

McMaster does a really good job with drawings and precise measurements of all of their parts. They can be pricey, but I use them alot both at home and in my job at work.

Steve and Mike.... THANK YOU both for the info.. I was going to check with fastenal, totally forgot about McMaster.. Also the proper terminology for the type of spring.. Goes to show you an old dog can learn a new trick once n awhile.

It blows my mind that evapo rust would have nuked the spring. I mean it worked perfect before I soaked it last night. When I pulled it out and saw the stray wire in the bowl.. I'm like F me running...

Auto Transport Service
Back