• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoop help.

Darter6

Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Putting the final touches on a 65 Belvedere 472 Hemi with a MP cross ram and carter carbs. The standard 65 Hemi scoop ain't gonna cut it. Is anybody using the 5'' SledCity or VFN Hemi scoop ? Looking for pros and cons from either vendor before placing a order. Thanks in advance !

I recommend looking up glasstek.com. That's where I got my 4 inch max wedge scoop. Really nice fit.

How much more do the air cleaners come above the hood than the original '65 crossram setup?

Darter6, I looked at GlassTeks scoops last weekend at the swap meet! They are a heavy piece! Looked good but their mounting is hokey, one had a few light angle brackets to bolt it on, the other one looked like a bond on! The price isn't bad according to their catalog $250.00. Myself I'd go with the Sledcity piece, he has a guarantee also (cracking,blow off)

This is my brothers 64 and he runs this one. I would have to call him tomorrow to find out where he got it. Just let me know. Ron

100_1523.jpg

i use to run a regular hemi hood scoop with my mp crossram with holleys and had no issues.

Attachments

• 11 021.jpg
    11 021.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 11 035.jpg
    11 035.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 359
  • 11 181.jpg
    11 181.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 382
My brothers has a tunnel Ram on it as thats why he needed the big scoop. Ron

Thanks guys, I guess the problem is the combo of Indy 426-1 heads with the intake and carter carbs. The car is 2500 miles from me at a body shop.I'm waiting on pictures to see what style air cleaners hight/width to use.this is the last picture I have,it's my brothers car and I'm just trying to help him out.It's all done now(street car) and the little chrome cleaners won't allow the hood to close.Going to try Max Wedge style. or the 5 '' scoop as last resort like 383man's picture.

Attachments

• DSC01142.jpg
    DSC01142.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 281
Hard to tell what you need from a fenderless picture without a hood on it. You need to know how far those tall air cleaners come through the hood. Until that happens you won't know how big of scoop you actually need. I go through this about once a week with people that call me about scoops. We are Sled City Fiberglass.

Maybe you need to get some "flat sytle" air cleaners for additional clearance.

This is my Hemi scoop by the way, I like it:

p3xao7ig.jpg

I'm jonesin' for the finished pictures.It's all done except for the hood.I should say it's on too and runs and drives. I've sent some low profile cleaners and am waiting for a call to see if they work.

Ran into the same problem with the mopar manifold on my 64. Problem solved if you just run the screened carb stacks that came on the SS cars. Don't need no stinkin aircleaner unless you plan on going down lots of crushed rock roads! Spook

Spook 120, Funny you say that as when I talked to my brother(He has the car) a guy he knows brought him a set from his MaxWedge that he wasn't using.

Auto Transport Service
Back