• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoop placement.

Terry Kitzman

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
The previous owner of my 66 Charger put a hemi hood scoop 2" off center of the hood to match the 2" off center drivetrain. Is this common?

No, hood scoops always centered. (Almost always).

I did see in the past, however, some guys racing slant six cars with a small offset scoop mounted over the carb side. That was long ago and I could be suffering from senility! :rolleyes:

He had the hood fuctional, Working with a open top triangular air cleaner. I'm changing that. I just thought it might be a Mopar thing. I'll center it. Thanks for all the response, Terry

If you see a scoop off to the side it is usually indicating that the car is running a inline style of motor. That Hemi scoop should be in the center of the hood and even up with the back of the hood. I have seen that on factory s/s cars and as much as 1/4' from the rear. I make a lot of Hemi scoops and make the original height R/O scoop and the street guys usually go with my street version of the R/O scoop that is 3/4" shorter. Just sold one of those to Louis in Phoenix , Az. for his Charger. My scoop is called "The R/O Lowboy."

If you see a scoop off to the side it is usually indicating that the car is running a inline style of motor. That Hemi scoop should be in the center of the hood and even up with the back of the hood. I have seen that on factory s/s cars and as much as 1/4' from the rear. I make a lot of Hemi scoops and make the original height R/O scoop and the street guys usually go with my street version of the R/O scoop that is 3/4" shorter. Just sold one of those to Louis in Phoenix , Az. for his Charger. My scoop is called "The R/O Lowboy."

How tall is the factory scoop?

all depends how you mount it. Squeaze it and get more height and spread it and get less. Sorry about the answer, but it's the truth.

Sled City Scoop... Maybe 3/4"+/- at the thinnest point in the back.

IMGP5004.jpg

IMGP5002.jpg

Last edited:
There were no scoops on 1966/1967 chargers even hemis. be glad to send you oem chrysler parts manual,
nascar did them. chargers were released on Jan,1,1966.(to meet nascar rules)
mine in avatar is max wedge,why not make it what you want ??
that's what hot rodding is about. kermit

Mike
Is your scoop stock size or the R/O Lowboy?
I have both in stock. I am the only one offering the Lowboy. The scoop pictured above is what I believe to be my Low boy R-O scoop

Last edited:
Mike
Is your scoop stock size or the R/O Lowboy?
It's what I call stock, roughly 3" or so in front, about an inch in the back... but Larry (Sled City) does have (2) versions, the other one is considerably taller as I recall, both front & back.

R/O or W/O, same scoop, just branded differently when used on a Plymouth or a Dodge as I recall? It's been a while...

The AAR scoop I had was pretty much identical, except for the fact that it was a complete, utter piece of flimsy garbage compared to the Sled City scoop.
As you may recall, I also have a 65 scoop from Sled City, same scoop but longer in the back with a different radius... but that's not for a Charger... 65 Belvedere sure, but not a Charger. I'm going to sell that one some day since I have no use for it at the moment.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back