• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hooker headers for a B engine

jonny0666

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
anyone ever have luck with Hooker Comp headers with a 383/400 B engine in a 1971 roadrunner with stock components? Before I go out and buy new ones, figure I’d see if the ones I have will work. On initial review, it looks like a bust.

I had some 1 3/4's and 1 7/8's in a '68 b-body 383 back in the day. IIRC the 1 3/4 fit fairly well. but, after using TTI's I wouldn't use hooker again. I like the TTI total package.

I bought Hooker Comp Headers 1 7/8 Ceramic coated from Summit. Fit was very good. And the price was much better than TTI. I have a 440 68 GTX. No regrets.

I've heard the 440s and RB blocks work well with them, I'm actually in process of looking for a build-able 440. But for now, it just has a 400 in it. And I've heard the B blocks make it a pain to fit headers.

If you have a low deck B-block 383 or 400, the 1 7/8" Hooker Super Competition PLUS is the way to go.

They fit very nicely on a low deck big-block. I didn't even have to dent a tube to get them to fit, and there were absolutely NO ISSUES....other than getting a slightly longer positive battery cable so as to clear the tubes going to the starter.

I have a set of 2" on a 451 B-block in an A-body. As you can imagine. The fit is tighter. But they work well. They are non coated that I painted with high temp POR. They do flake a tad. But being a 90% index drag race setup? My feelings are not that hurt. They perform well. A bit of a hassle to get on and off. But learned to live with. Certainly not enough to consider paying the TTI $$$

I can’t tell you why but the hookers I bought for 72 sat seb + with a 400 ( now stroked 451) fit sucked! 17/8” super comp., thank god I didn’t pay for the ceramic coating! The passenger side collector hit the trans, I had to smash and dent for steering, trans. When I called hooker they said I voided the warranty by sand blasting and I must have bent or cut them to hit the trans. Screw hooker, I used them, but never again.

Auto Transport Service
Back