• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn beeps when turning steering wheel

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
When I’m driving the car and turn a corner, something is causing a short in the steering wheel, and the horn beeps. Only happens when spinning the steering wheel. The steering column is grounded to the body, and whatever that wire is under the steering wheel cover, it’s connected.

thoughts on what’s messed up please?

Un-plug the wire at the horn switch and then see what it does. That will tell you if it is in the switch or something in the contact wheel to horn ring. Something is completing a ground on the relay actuator circuit.

I had this issue with the roadrunner. Found the problem and fixed it. Was the disc under the steering wheel that the wire goes to. Here is the video I made of the issue. I forgot to show the new one being installed but I popped a picture of it into the video.

When I’m driving the car and turn a corner, something is causing a short in the steering wheel, and the horn beeps. Only happens when spinning the steering wheel. The steering column is grounded to the body, and whatever that wire is under the steering wheel cover, it’s connected.

thoughts on what’s messed up please?
Did you piss off somebody who worked on your car?
:rofl:

Here is the new part frome Classic Industries.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/a100truck/parts/2822187.html
horn.png
horn2.png

Had the same issue on another car I owned and the horn ring was bent, so where it was closer to the contact it would beep . . . just flattened the thing out a bit and fixed it . . .

Damn, I should have remembered your video; I just watched it a few months ago to get the steering wheel off when I removed the column for restoration.

I had this issue with the roadrunner. Found the problem and fixed it. Was the disc under the steering wheel that the wire goes to. Here is the video I made of the issue. I forgot to show the new one being installed but I popped a picture of it into the video.

Yea, never had the issue before, then I had the steering column restored, and now I'm curious if I bent that contact ring putting the wheel back on. Or, its finally worn out after 50 years.

Had the same issue on another car I owned and the horn ring was bent, so where it was closer to the contact it would beep . . . just flattened the thing out a bit and fixed it . . .

When I found the crumbs in the lower portion of the column I couldn't figure out where that crap came from. That's when I pulled that cancel cam and ring off and found out it was all just crumbling off of it. I ended up pulling the part off an A-body steering wheel they were exactly the same.

I was experimenting with the old one and took a piece of thin plastic from a country crock lid and cut it to size and took a torch and heated it enough so it would form to the part. For the most part it worked but, i ended up leaving the heat on it too long and cooked the plastic too much. But If I tried it again I would use a heat gun. I think one could use that method to repair the crumbling insulator. Or,just spend the 40 bucks to buy the part lol.

Took the steering wheel off, pulled that horn contact ring off and that tan/grayish insulator ring just crumbled apart. Finally gives me a reason to buy a new steering wheel since the original is all cracked and a turd. Hard to tell if the cracks are natural or somebody took a hacksaw to it.

So this continues. New steering wheel with new horn contact and I still have the issue. Sitting in my garage troubleshooting now.

even with the horn wire disconnected it will beep. Won’t beep if I press the horn ring, but if I turn the steering wheel a half turn to the right it starts beeping.

Is the steering wheel supposed to be on a certain distance? Do I just keep tightening it down? FSM says 27 inch pounds / 2.25 foot pounds, but my torque wrench just keeps tightening it down even at 2.50 ft/lbs.

I’m truly stumped here and getting ready to disconnect horns

So think I found the issue, whatever this brass post is in the steering column. If I touch it with a screwdriver and the column shaft, the horn beeps. Wonder if it’s out too far? Wrap it with electrical tape? The horn contact locking ring must be hitting it when I turn the wheel.

C03A3D9A-FCE5-4438-B2F0-BBC8E77EEA90.jpeg

99% sure that was issue. I was able to look inside the column as I turned the steering wheel, and the horn would beep the instant that locking ring post would meet that brass post. Perhaps in the column restoration process or when it was shipped back to me that brass post was bent slightly inward instead of being straight up. But in any event, heat shrinking that post fixed the beeping horn when turning the wheel, and the horn still works when I press it at my will.

I don't think that is your problem. That rod you put the wrap on is for the turn signal switch cancel feature. Shouldn't have anything to do with the horn.

Auto Transport Service
Back