• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Restart

LeapYear

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I installed a Powermaster XS Torque Starter in my 1967 Plymouth Satellite (freshly rebuilt 383 big block running just under 10:1 compression).
Starter works great on cold starts, but will only spin and not engage the flywheel on a hot restart.
Thought it might be related to the battery cable, so I purchased and installed a new cable – Still has same problem.
Next step is trying a heat shield, but thought I’d check for opinions on anything else that might be causing the problem.
Never had this problem before the rebuild with the old factory type starter.

That's something inside the starter. Contact for the bendix solenoid not making or mechanically the bendix and or bendix linkage hanging up.

Silly question, but where is your timing set at? I just know that too much timing can make hot starts difficult.

I'm with kryslerkid on this one. It sounds like the bendix (inside the starer). In a typical "hot re-start" situation, the starter gets hot from header heat & it engages just fine, but turns the motor really slow (like you have a nearly dead battery). You don't have that situation.

but will only spin and not engage the flywheel on a hot restart.

Oops! Missed that part. Agree with above then about the bendix. PurpleBeeper's right about the "Hot Re-start". I thought it was engaging, but having a hard time turning over. Guess it really WAS a silly question! :)

Sounds like bendix spring not getting enough
current to engage after hot.
Check voltage at starter when hot,thats not always
fun.

Agreed, sounds like starter issue.

It sounds like a possible clearance issue. As the engine, ring gear, starter get hot, clearances change. If the Bendix does not have proper clearance, it will hit the face of the ring gear, and not engage the teeth. Hard to check on a Mopar, no good sight lines. I'd check with Powermax, they offer shims for some of their starters for just this problem.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try a new starter relay (and hope that works) - If not I'll check for clearance issues.

Contact Power Master. I had an issue with a Power Master product and e-mailed the company. I got a phone call from them on a Saturday along with several follow up communications. They made it right. I think that was the best customer service issue I've ever experienced.

Contact Power Master. I had an issue with a Power Master product and e-mailed the company. I got a phone call from them on a Saturday along with several follow up communications. They made it right. I think that was the best customer service issue I've ever experienced.
I've been emailing back and forth with Power Master, but have not determined if it's the starter yet.

It sounds like a possible clearance issue. As the engine, ring gear, starter get hot, clearances change. If the Bendix does not have proper clearance, it will hit the face of the ring gear, and not engage the teeth. Hard to check on a Mopar, no good sight lines. I'd check with Powermax, they offer shims for some of their starters for just this problem.
This is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. On a hot re-start, does the starter gear just spin freely or grind on the flywheel's ring gear? If it's grinding, tmaleck might be onto something. If it just spins freely, I'm thinking starter.

Auto Transport Service
Back