• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Starting Issue - want to know if I'm on the right track

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
The Coronet has been back on the road now for two years and its' been plagued by a hot start issue since day 1. When cold, or even warming down, will start right up, but when at operating temp for a considerable time, not enough juice to turnover the starter. Some background:
- 440 ci stock stroke; 10:1 compression; 440Source heads, Hughes hyd FT cam (230* @0.50, .545 lift +/-), headers, FiTech EFI, TF auto
- Mancini mini-starter
- Initial timing @ 18*
- Battery relocated to trunk to make room for the FiTech Fuel Command Center
- Brand new 800 CCA batt
- 1/0 gauge cable, thru drivers side wire channel, thru 4 spd grommet into engine compartment
- Ford-type solenoid in trunk
- - batt cable to wheel well in trunk; paint removed at attachment site
- 1/0 ga from engine to front bumper bolt at frame
- New OEM braided ground cable from firewall to head
- New M&H engine wiring harnesses
- PowerMaster 95 amp alt, with 8 ga direct to OEM starter relay

I think the cause of the high resistance is right here:
IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4165.JPG

The 1/0 terminates at the distribution post, from there is a brand new OEM + batt cable to the starter, wrapped in DEI heat shield. I haven't done a voltage drop test at the starter because it's just about impossible to connect any leads with the hot headers in the way. I didn't attach the 1/0 directly to the starter at the time of engine install because the cable size was too large to fit the starter terminal. In hindsight, should've found a way.

I took 2* out of the distributor, down to 16*. Now the other issue is that the FiTech has to relearn the new timing. The 2* hasn't seemed to help.
I've searched E bay, Summit, various Mopar sites for a pair of offset starter terminals; haven't found any. Can someone direct me where to find a pair.

My new plan: find offset terminals, connect the 1/0 direct to starter; jumper wire to starter solenoid. Please offer up any more comments and suggestions; the car is on the road strictly because of the help from fellow FBBO members.

Last edited:
A little wrap on the header near the starter.

There was a vendor here that sells (Mini Starter Conversion Terminals). His handle is Valiantone. He sells them on forAbodiesonly also. The add was posted here on 6/29/17 in the MoparParts&CarsMarketplace/Mechanical parts. If I knew how I would send you a link to the post that mentioned it. I want to order them also as I had/have a similar problem. I mentioned this in a post years ago and it was mentioned that my mini starter expands and binds up from the header heat. when it cools, no more problem. I wrapped my headers near the starter and it helped but still an issue but now I plan for it. I bought a starter wrap also but headers too darn close to put it over the starter. Good Luck!

A little wrap on the header near the starter.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
also a wrap on the starter itself will help. I run more initial timing than that, (21) w/ the stock cable ran to the starter from the factory solenoid, a 2/0 welding cable from the rear mounted battery to the solenoid, no problems in the heat, w/ way more engine than u stated. I had a ford solenoid on it for a while ,but it gave up. I didn`t have a neutral starter switch w/ it either.

By the way, your ability to wrap the starter and / or header depends somewhat on what brand starter and style of header you are running. Mine are almost touching each other. Next time around I am going for TTI Tri-Y headers. They open up accessibility considerably.

Exactly; I know other guys that have smaller cable than 1/0 and don't have the hot start issues. Another reason why I'm ditching the distribution post and going directly to the starter.

The heat soak into the cable to starter is a very common trouble spot with headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back