• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are your Spark Plug Wires Routed?

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How are you guys, with TTI headers, on a 383 routing your spark plug wires without burning them? Pictures would help a lot! Thanks in advance!

I studied for two years looking at pics, and car shows. I probably have 24 man hours in this install. TTI 2 inch headers. Used Accel Ceramic, ordered two sets of wires 135 and 90 degree, with only the spark plug ends on them. Got a set of good crimpers and did each wire individually. Also had to order two straight end wires as the 90 and 135 would not clear the headers sufficiently. Wire holders are from Summit with attachment brackets I made to attach to the engine. Also used hi-temp sleeving from the brackets down to the plugs. Pics maybe tell more.
PT from Tennessee

IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1279.jpg IMG_1280.jpg

I studied for two years looking at pics, and car shows. I probably have 24 man hours in this install. TTI 2 inch headers. Used Accel Ceramic, ordered two sets of wires 135 and 90 degree, with only the spark plug ends on them. Got a set of good crimpers and did each wire individually. Also had to order two straight end wires as the 90 and 135 would not clear the headers sufficiently. Wire holders are from Summit with attachment brackets I made to attach to the engine. Also used hi-temp sleeving from the brackets down to the plugs. Pics maybe tell more.
PT from Tennessee

View attachment 1077582 View attachment 1077583 View attachment 1077584 View attachment 1077585

Wow! What a setup, that's something like what I'm looking for. So you used custom wires. Dang it, I just ordered firecore 50 OEM wires today. Thanks for the pics, its helps a lot!

PT from Tennessee

View attachment 1077582 View attachment 1077583 View attachment 1077584 View attachment 1077585
FIRECORE wires are available as custom made to length with ends of choice. Give you kudos for the job you did. Tell Rick I sent you!

5.13.15 005.jpg

Forgot to tell you-- R&M aluminum holders. Re-bend mounting ears to change holding angle. Made my own aluminum spacers (3 inch long). Did not have much faith in the plastic ones in the R&M kit. Longer SHCS and Hi Temp covering from Mcmaster Carr.
Hope this helps.
PT in Tennessee

Forgot to tell you-- R&M aluminum holders. Re-bend mounting ears to change holding angle. Made my own aluminum spacers (3 inch long). Did not have much faith in the plastic ones in the R&M kit. Longer SHCS and Hi Temp covering from Mcmaster Carr.
Hope this helps.
PT in Tennessee

YES! This helps a lot! Thanks!

A set of Taylor straight end wires, #2 uses a 90 degree end, cut to length, Summit separators with fabbed brackets.

3B1AFC9A-9C79-4DC6-B0CB-4B6B8793E89B.jpeg
8A82B049-FB11-4BEA-95F9-EA259A00CED5.jpeg
C5ED578C-9D70-41CA-A48C-14427A851281.jpeg
33531AE0-C65F-46F3-961A-B1105B9AEB4C.jpeg

I had talked to Rick, but he wanted me to tell him the lengths I wanted. I didn't have any way to get a length until the wire was on the engine. 1/2" wrong measurement and the wire was wrong. Crimper from Summit made the end crimp perfectly. What I did was not cost effective, but I wanted a set of wires to last many years. OH, the Ceramic ends are really ceramic. I dropped one wire and the end broke like glass!
PT

Had headman headers on my cuda with a 440 and ran the wires in the the stock location with the stock holders and just a couple of adjustments to the angles of the boots. The factory routing puts the cables under the headers looks clean and no burnt wires.

Stock wires sets are designed to go in the stock routing. If you want them up top you must do it custom. Get a real good set of crimping pliers and ceramic boots with heat socks.

On my 383, TTI 1 7/8 headers ....the back 4 cylinders have straight boots and the front 4 have 90 degree boots. I buy whatever wire kit I feel like and a bag of ends and make my own set. Been on that engine for 4yrs now and not burnt yet! Just made a set for a 67 charger and did the same thing except this one got 90 degree on all plugs, not TTI headers and no contact at all between the tubes and wire ends.

I don't have great pictures of it but I'm with Pturner, I've never liked the idea of plug wires running under the headers. I made aluminum rails that bolt under the valve cover bolts then bought some nice plug wire clamps. The biggest trick to making then super neat is buying the right crimping tool and make your own wires, I use Taylor wires.
20160424_021521.jpg
20160424_021508.jpg

I also have the Accel ceramic 90s, and use similar brackets, (Summit brand).
The problem I have with my Doug's is on #5 cylinder there really is no way to safely go under or over the header, so to help I added DEI Titanium boot covers; the boots on my wires do not hold tight on the plug. They are on tight but are easily rotated.

20200722_173233.jpg

Hey Guys,

How are you guys, with TTI headers, on a 383 routing your spark plug wires without burning them? Pictures would help a lot! Thanks in advance!
Here's mine:
Bought the looms and brackets from
Summit. I redrilled the brackets and cut
the looms at the rear for two wires, and
made 4 tabs to bring them out further from
the valve covers.
20190620_165747~2.jpg

20200426_225220.jpg

bhrrb2s.jpg

383 with TTI headers. I used the MSD black plastic clamps connected the the inner fenders then up under the headers.

Also using ceramic boots and hi-temp protectors.

Last edited:
Here's mine:
Bought the looms and brackets from
Summit. I redrilled the brackets and cut
the looms at the rear for two wires, and
made 4 tabs to bring them out further from
the valve covers.
View attachment 1080058

View attachment 1080055
Alright.... You can NOT post a picture like this and not show us what goes on that frame! That looks really cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back