• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big a deal putting in a v8 in a 67 belvedere w a 6 cyl

craig ny

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
i have a shot at scorin a super clean 67 belvedere excellent body and inteior that runs with a 6 cyl. well within my price range, and i can have a little dough (like 1k) left over to start the process. How big a deal to throw a v8 big or small block and possibly a 4 spd in the car, i realize that the rear and stuff would have to go eventually also . Is is worth it to do over time starting with a solid platform, rather than buy something with a v8 that aint so good? the car is drivable now so i could save up and drive her now!!!!

Too bad it didn't have a v8k frame, a Big Block would swap right in with the right mounts. Pretty sure you have to modify the slant six frame even with a swap kit,might be easier to switch to a v8 frame. Slant 6 torsion bars might be kinda weak slant6 to BB in a street car also. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

Schumaker makes conversion mounts to put a V8 on the /6 K frame. Might cost more for those mounts than a V8 k frame, which should be easy to find. You should change the torsion bars, radiator, and wiring for the motor (maybe just modify the one for the /6). You will also need a throttle cable. The 4 speed is more involved. You'll need to cut the floor and install a hump. Then you'll have to install the frame end "Z" bar pivot point....assuming the car isn't a 3 on the tree already. If you're ultimately planning on serious go fast, then you really need an 18 spline trans so you don't twist the input shaft. Trans will cost you about $1000. Same with the rear. A Dana 60 would be best (especially with sticky tires) but an 8.75 will be fine if you don't beat on it (assuming a healthy 440 up front)

simple

well i called and no answer yet, so well see. I dont NEED a four speed, its a column shift now, and i forgot id have to add the pedal also...what about puttin in a auto with a console shift on the floor with a man valve body? I know id have to still cut the floor for the shifter, but would i still need to put in a hump? If the car is still for sale and is as clean as the pics show im gonna buy it.

No hump for a floor shift auto. You could either do aftermarket or factory, which would require the brackets for a console and the console itself. Then swap the column for a floor shift one

It's like I tell people when they say they want to buy a Sportster. You say you'll be happy with a small block, but the reality is, you want a big block. That car is no lightweight and you have plenty of room to put one in so why not do it. Like Charger70 said, buy the car now and leave it alone while you do your homework. What you'll discover is that when you're going from a /6 to something other than a /6, you still have to change the same parts : torsion bars, mounts (or K frame), linkages, trannies, driveshaft etc. What I'm saying is if you're absolutely certain you want a small block, cool. If not, wait until you have a master plan and then start collecting parts, since there's no need to do it twice.

Well the car wasant what it was led on to be. The body wasant that great....i could but a 8 cyl for the same price with the same cond. body.....gotta keep lookin!

To answer the original question.

Mopar only made 3 different K members back then and it they were basicly the same for years.
/6
V8 for 273 through 440
and Hemi
The K member is held in with 4 bolts and is quick and easy to change.

Well i got another meet today for another car, I dont wanna jinx it but looks good!!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back