• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I identify the type of leaf springs on my 65 Belvedere

Paul Cotton

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
I bought a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II that I was told was originally being built for a drag car. I think it has a set of generic aftermarket Super Stock springs (really stiff) but i don't know for sure. Is counting the leafs the only way to determine this. The rake of the car is pretty aggressive, which reminds you of a track car. I submitted a post a few days ago about the pinion snubber which I purchased from MOPAR, but haven't installed. I was wondering if the rake is going to impact traction.

Most SS springs have 20'' from center bolt to the front spring eye. Factory 65 springs are 21''. The SS springs on my 65 have 6 leaves on the driver side # P3690456 and 8 on the passenger side #P3690457. 3400 lbs Automatic car.
Hope this helps.

Yes, keep in mind the '65 main leaf is 21" NOT 22" like later OR 20" like A Body & SS springs. I made my copy SS springs using some XHD (Hemi) springs & the '65 springs to match the 3000# SS springs of the early '70's. Worked really great on my '65 Coronet 11.0 to 10.50.

I bought a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II that I was told was originally being built for a drag car. I think it has a set of generic aftermarket Super Stock springs (really stiff) but i don't know for sure. Is counting the leafs the only way to determine this. The rake of the car is pretty aggressive, which reminds you of a track car. I submitted a post a few days ago about the pinion snubber which I purchased from MOPAR, but haven't installed. I was wondering if the rake is going to impact traction.

Post some pictures and people on here can tell you what you have.

Paul, your question on rake is hard to judge. I have seen(depending on the car) SS springs raise the rear as much as 5''. and others not at all,closer to the stock height. If they are real SS springs you should have no problem.Best is to install the snubber and try it out. Remember the snubber setting from back in the day is, automatic touching the floor and if a stick 1'' from the floor at rest.That is from way back when Chrysler did the Direct Connection seminars.
There has been many discussions on pinion snubbers and SS springs. Some say remove it completely when using SS springs.Others say use it. I've run my cars both ways and never found a difference in my case.

My super stock spring have the part number stamped into the bottom of the bottom leaf, just in front or just behind the mounting plate(can't remember which , but it's there).
Part number will tell you what weight car it's for, whether left or right. Some people who want to lift the rear of their car mistakenly install two lefts or two rights, to avoid "lean".
Spring arch determines lift, not the number of leaves.

Last edited:
Paul, your question on rake is hard to judge. I have seen(depending on the car) SS springs raise the rear as much as 5''. and others not at all,closer to the stock height. If they are real SS springs you should have no problem.Best is to install the snubber and try it out. Remember the snubber setting from back in the day is, automatic touching the floor and if a stick 1'' from the floor at rest.That is from way back when Chrysler did the Direct Connection seminars.
There has been many discussions on pinion snubbers and SS springs. Some say remove it completely when using SS springs.Others say use it. I've run my cars both ways and never found a difference in my case.
I went ahead and installed the new pinion snubber which I purchased from MOPAR. The old one, only had about 3 inches of height on it, while the new one is adjustable and considerably taller. Took the car out and it launches a lot harder now. I need to get it on a lift and not on jack stands in my garage to measure the gap between the snubber and the body. Thanks for the reply.

My super stock spring have the part number stamped into the bottom of the bottom leaf, just in front or just behind the mounting plate(can't remember which , but it's there).
Part number will tell you what weight car it's for, whether left or right. Some people who want to lift the rear of their car mistakenly install two lefts or two rights, to avoid "lean".
Spring arch determines lift, not the number of leaves.
I wasn't aware of the part number stamp, I will check to see if i can find it. The rear of the car has a lot of rake, probably a good 4 inches. I prefer the closer to stock look of a car and not the back end jacked up. Thanks for the tip, I will go and check for part numbers.

Auto Transport Service
Back