• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how close can Wheels be to the leaf springs???

1962savoy

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
How close can you have your rear tires to the leaf springs??? I have a set of 8' wide rims that are 4.5" back spaced and there might be a 8th of an inch from the rear springs??? what does every one think???
CHEERS!!!

Too close....1/4" is kinda close too. Just depends on how you drive it. They will rub on turns and even with 1/4" they will touch on harder turns.

Well, a machinist buddy of mine once said that a .001" is as good as a mile if nothing hits, but tires and suspension being flexible I'd say you are too close.

Not disagreeing with everybody else here, but I can't get a finger between the sidewall of my slicks & the leaf springs on my RR, & I've never had contact. My rationale is that at that point the spring movement relative to the tire is very little when the body rolls. Then again, my car sees mostly straight-line duty, so it may be more of an issue with sidewall flex going around corners. An 1/8" does seem a bit tight, though...

run it. If it touches then no good. If it only touches after severe cornering but you don't do severe cornering on a regular basis, run em anyway. I would. Just make sure you keep the air pressure up in the tires.

Tires grow in height when rolling, the more spin the taller they get.

when i bought the 8 inch wide steelies i ordered them with a 4.5 inch back space thinking that was center just like the 7 inch ones at 4 inch back spacing?.....well I think there too close so I was going to order a set of 8 inch with a 4 inch back space and that should give me the clearance , i hope what do youo think??? before i go into the wheel businees and have lots of used rims for sale!!!!! LOL

Buy a 1/4 inch spacer from summit or jegs. Even your tire and wheel store might have them. I did this and never had a problem.

Buy a 1/4 inch spacer from summit or jegs. Even your tire and wheel store might have them. I did this and never had a problem.

There's your answer,use a spacer.How's the room at the 1/4 panel & wheel lip?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 434
I didnt know they made such a thing as a wheel spacer! do you have to have longer studs?? 1/4 panel & wheel lip I have lots of room.

Well, a machinist buddy of mine once said that a .001" is as good as a mile if nothing hits, but tires and suspension being flexible I'd say you are too close.
I'm a 30 year machinist and have heard that plenty of times...not to mention that has taken a bite out of my butt many times too lol

Not disagreeing with everybody else here, but I can't get a finger between the sidewall of my slicks & the leaf springs on my RR, & I've never had contact. My rationale is that at that point the spring movement relative to the tire is very little when the body rolls. Then again, my car sees mostly straight-line duty, so it may be more of an issue with sidewall flex going around corners. An 1/8" does seem a bit tight, though...
Measure your fingers lol. None of mine are less than 1/2" :headbang:

One thing that is probably obvious but hasn't been mentioned: A 70 series tire will flex more than a 50 series tire. So the taller the tire sidewall, the more flex there will be. This means if you keep the same overall outer circumference, a 17" rim will be less likely to rub than a 15" rim, since the tire will have less sidewall and less flex.

You obviously already have your rims, but just a thought...

there are a few factors that apply to tires rubbing on flex or not.as said by hsorman
sidewall hight is the biggest.air pessure and how the car is driven make a big difference as well.the 1/8 inch will work on a drag only car,but will rub on a street car unless you have 50 series or shorter sidewalls.the spacer idea will work great.just dont go thicker then a 1/4 inch and make sure you have at least 3 full turns of the lug nut before it begins to tighten up to the wheel.if it seems too short get longer studs.still be cheeper then buying new wheels.

Fellas, this thread is 2 1/2 years old, if they were a rubbin, I suspect he'd have figured it out by now. :)

Fellas, this thread is 2 1/2 years old, if they were a rubbin, I suspect he'd have figured it out by now. :)

I don't know - maybe he is as slow as I am when restoring or getting work done on the car!! :icon_razz:

Auto Transport Service
Back