• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did they paint my car....the belly anyway....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
Pulled the K member and rear axle out of my 73 factory black car. Can see spots of factory gloss black in the engine bay/ firewall area as well as rear tail panel. But in getting the under side cleaned up and ready for some epoxy primer I do not see ANY evidence of any paint. Except in the fender wells where some factory under coating is still showing signs of black paint underneath. My whole underside is just showing surface rust. Did they primer only the underside before cooking the body the last time ? I was thinking the whole thing got a complete spray before the last bake took place. Anyone know the procedure used....thanks..

It was dipped in a tank about halfway up the doors then painted. No paint on the bottom only overspray on the dip coating. If it had the undercoating option it then got under coated sloppy in a few spots underneath

It was dipped in a tank about halfway up the doors then painted. No paint on the bottom only overspray on the dip coating. If it had the undercoating option it then got under coated sloppy in a few spots underneath

Yup....

No paint at all on the underside...WOW. My K member showed signs of black paint, was that painted black , built, engine installed , and then completed unit install on the assemble line. So, that would mean K members would not be body color....correct? So, what do most refinishers do, paint underside body color....cause you gotta do something?
I got a lot of crumbling seam sealer just falling off, car is over 45 years old, but was that mostly applied prior to body paint and I assumed was baked at final cookin. thanks guys.

No paint at all on the underside...WOW. My K member showed signs of black paint, was that painted black , built, engine installed , and then completed unit install on the assemble line. So, that would mean K members would not be body color....correct? So, what do most refinishers do, paint underside body color....cause you gotta do something?
I got a lot of crumbling seam sealer just falling off, car is over 45 years old, but was that mostly applied prior to body paint and I assumed was baked at final cookin. thanks guys.

Yes the K member was a satin black and no overspray for exactly like you said it went in with the power train later. Sealer was applied before paining. I apply the sealer AFTER the epoxy primer on restorations. I just look more "finished" and you getting your monies worth buy painting the bottom.. It may help a little with future corrosion protection.

Lots of restorers are trying to match the dip primer like OE by using urethane paint color matched to the original primer...
Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 9.25.39 AM.png

Wow, guys, those look really cool. Pretty sure I shall attempt something along those lines. The thought of a glossy belly was disturbing....but, prolly would not last long on a semi daily driver. No wonder so many of these cars got rotten bottoms....they just was not set up for the super long haul....50 plus years......

Auto Transport Service
Back