• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How different are 70 vs. 72-74 high-back buckets?

funknut

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Looking for information on how different these may be. Not looking for a mint set, just basically looking for cores to restore (foam and covers) and I like the look of the 70s better.

I currently have a 68 Charger with the buddy seat setup, looking to get the high-backs and found a cheap set of 72-74 seats with great frames.

2 questions:

- Are the frames similar enough that the later seats would fit with the 70 foam and covers.
- What would I need to do to bolt 72-74 seats into my 68 Charger?

Thanks!

Funny you should ask, I just finished doing the high back buckets for my ‘70 Coronet. I started gathering the best pieces of a pile of five seats. Two were original, with unobtainable original ‘70 tracks. The others were from a Cuda and a ‘73 Charger. All of the bottoms were identical, except the tracks. The backs were identical except for right and left. And even those are the same if you can weld and want to swap the seat back release side to side. All the springs were identical.
Now all I’m saying only applies to the metal frames and springs. All had different foam. All had way different tracks.
Obviously all had different upholstery. I totally stripped mine down, right to the ball bearings and rollers in the tracks. There’s a good series of YouTube videos on rebuilding. If you need some parts (not tracks) PM me I may be able to help.
Also, I have buddy seat parts left over from combining three to make one good one.

Funny you should ask, I just finished doing the high back buckets for my ‘70 Coronet. I started gathering the best pieces of a pile of five seats. Two were original, with unobtainable original ‘70 tracks. The others were from a Cuda and a ‘73 Charger. All of the bottoms were identical, except the tracks. The backs were identical except for right and left. And even those are the same if you can weld and want to swap the seat back release side to side. All the springs were identical.
Now all I’m saying only applies to the metal frames and springs. All had different foam. All had way different tracks.
Obviously all had different upholstery. I totally stripped mine down, right to the ball bearings and rollers in the tracks. There’s a good series of YouTube videos on rebuilding. If you need some parts (not tracks) PM me I may be able to help.
Also, I have buddy seat parts left over from combining three to make one good one.

Thanks for the detailed info! Sounds like I'll be picking these up, then.

I appreciate your offer, once I get the seats and get them torn down I'll have a better idea of what I have and don't have.

Also, be sure to save the wires that hold your covers to the springs. There are “U” shaped ones and straight ones. They hog ring through the foam and go in pockets in the covers to keep the covers from sliding around on the foam. You’ll need to reuse them with your new covers.

Also, be sure to save the wires that hold your covers to the springs. There are “U” shaped ones and straight ones.

Sometimes known as "listing wires". The similarity of 70 & up seats is surprising. The bolt pattern of the tracks on a pair of 72 Charger seats fits the floor of my 72 Demon perfectly.

Auto Transport Service
Back