• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I get this off

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Is there a simple and easy way to get the carb stud spring contraption off w/o damaging it or the carb?

It will need to go back on.

A trick one of you have learned?

4895S 0680 (1).jpg

View attachment 239459

You have to pry one end out of the hole, then push that up to the top of the carb, where it will release. You have a 50/50 shot at breaking it. I've taken four of these off...two successfully. Just take it slow, or it WILL break off.

Getting it back on is a piece of cake.

Thanks Patrick .. I just had an idea.

I think I'm going to put a long socket on an extension and see if I can put that on the stud and use it for leverage.

Unfortunately I don't have a vise handy .. that would help a lot.

btw before I do that where did yours break? The spring, carb, or stud?

If spring where at on the spring?

Both broke about halfway up the spring.

I've done it with a small flat tip screwdriver.

Last edited:
Tallhair, I would use some type of spreader. Equal values on both, half the distance on each.

That's how I broke two. By prying up on just one side, then sliding it up the carb, it comes right off.

Why do you want to remove it ?

Good question. I have to ship 3 of them and trying to reduce the overall size of the box .. these suckers are ungainly as hell and take up way to much room with those and the throttle cable studs ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I've don it with a small flat tip screwdriver.

Tallhair, I would use some type of spreader. Equal values on both, half the distance on each.

First thing I thought of also but alas I don't have a pair of those that have a wide enough opening .. maybe I could use something between them and the spring .. but then I see Patrick's comment so I think I'll try the screwdriver method or just try to man up and see if my hands will work. I tried it before but those damn springs are pretty stiff.

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I broke two. By prying up on just one side, then sliding it up the carb, it comes right off.
Now you tell me LOL !

- - - Updated - - -

OK only two had the springs/studs. One came out via using hands only and pulling one side out then the other slud (Beaver term) out.

I had to use a big standard screwdriver to get the other one out with leverage but only one side would come free. It laid over though so it's not sticking up any more and I can package them much easier now.

thanks guys.

I have never broke one taking those off....not sure why it's such an issue

Metal fatigue, like with any other spring. They break, and with surprisingly little effort.

just went out to my garage and took 2 of those so called metal-fatigued springs right off the carbs from the 60's....no issue at all.....somebody's doing something wrong

just went out to my garage and took 2 of those so called metal-fatigued springs right off the carbs from the 60's....no issue at all.....somebody's doing something wrong

Well, whatever, they DO break, and it doesn't take much to make them snap. I'll be happy to show you how. Bring your carb by.

If the carbs are dried out and have no vapors you could add a little heat to the stud that might help.

Well, whatever, they DO break, and it doesn't take much to make them snap. I'll be happy to show you how. Bring your carb by.

Mine came off just fine yesterday, I don't need to bring them by for you to break them because you don't know how to remove them correctly. The carbs and air cleaner springs are same age as yours, I bet

Jees .. can you guys chill :headbang:

Thanks for all the help everyone

Auto Transport Service
Back