• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I remove the window channel from a 68 Coronet?

TT from NH

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I'm restoring a 2-door 68 Coronet 500 and am planning on media blasting the entire car. I removed the doors, window glass, and regulators and am just left with the window channel and vent. Two questions:

1) Should I remove the window channel (or can this be blocked off during media blasting?)
2) How do I remove the channel? I think I have any bolt that's holding it in (unless there's something in the channel support that's holding it in place).

Thanks!

Terry

IMG_1062.JPG

To remove to vent window frame there’s three points of attachment to the door.
Front of the vent frame then next there’s a small hole on the inside upper door there’s a small screw in there and lastly
the stud in the bottom of the door at the end of the channel. After these are all removed it will come out.

Last edited:
Hope these help. Not shown is the screw that BeeKeeper mentioned, that is accessed through a small hole near the top of the interior side of the door. I think the hole has a plastic plug in it.

IMG_1860a.jpg
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG

This is from my '66 Belvedere manual but should give you an idea. I believe these cars were similar over the years.

regv.jpg

Look where the arrows take you.... The one with a plug is an Allen bolt..

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.24.09 AM.png

Definitely remove the vent wing assembly before blasting. Not that hard to do, good instructions above.

Ahhhhh, THAT's what I was missing! I couldn't see underneath the stud and was missing the nut. Thank you SO much ... I was afraid of bending or breaking something. (And thanks for your opinion/suggestion about removing it ... that's exactly why I'm here!) Terry

Screenshot 2021-08-23 133334.jpg

Ta da! Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I don’t want to hijack TT’s post but I have a question about the vent window handles I am hoping you guys can answer. I have a 68 CORONET RT and it didn’t come with glass in the doors. I have a spare set of Dodge 68 doors with straight vent window handles and a couple sets of Plymouth doors with vent handles that have a slight hook to them.
Can anyone tell me the correct vent handle for a 68 Dodge Coronet RT? I have googled and searched, and I have seen both on 68 Dodges.
Thank you in advance!!
Matt

I don’t want to hijack TT’s post but I have a question about the vent window handles I am hoping you guys can answer. I have a 68 CORONET RT and it didn’t come with glass in the doors. I have a spare set of Dodge 68 doors with straight vent window handles and a couple sets of Plymouth doors with vent handles that have a slight hook to them.
Can anyone tell me the correct vent handle for a 68 Dodge Coronet RT? I have googled and searched, and I have seen both on 68 Dodges.
Thank you in advance!!
Matt

I can't say with 100% certainty but I would imagine it depends on which vendor was supplying the vent windows the day your car was built... And since both styles were used no one would question either... Find the cleanest parts you can find and use them....

Auto Transport Service
Back