• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you de-code a fender tag

Tom Petty Lives

Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
I own a 1970 Dodge Coronet.

I want to know how to read fender tags and understand all the codes. Is there a book I can purchase covering the 1970 Coronet?

or does a member have a online document they are willing to share?

I tried searching this site but I guess I suck at it because I wasn’t able to find anything. I would have thought that this question has been asked before on B-bodies. If some can direct me to the thread I would be grateful.

What is the 7th digit of the VIN? It can make a difference on the fender tag layout and decoding of it has a letter A there.

I own a 1970 Dodge Coronet.

I want to know how to read fender tags and understand all the codes. Is there a book I can purchase covering the 1970 Coronet?

or does a member have a online document they are willing to share?

I tried searching this site but I guess I suck at it because I wasn’t able to find anything. I would have thought that this question has been asked before on B-bodies. If some can direct me to the thread I would be grateful.

I don't particularly care for the link posted above, I really don't want to post my VIN on some website. I find this one easier to use:

https://realdash.net/dev/decoders/tag6974.html

The one on mymopar.com is pretty good as well...if you can find it since the reorg of that site.

The Govier books go through tags for different years and explain how to decode each. Not cheap but probably the best source of options and the most commonly asked about part numbers ( imho ).

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. The others sites just decided. Your vin for a price or had you input the codes so it can tell you what it means. I wanted to not only know what the codes meant but what other options was available on the car that year. Your suggestion does that. Thank you!

If I want to know more, I now have the websites to purchase a book for more details.

Different plants coded things differently.

I think the most extreme example is Lynch Road.

Apparently not all plants stamped the tag for all of the same options.

The OP should also check out the hamtramckhistorical site.

It has scans of the dealer literature that sometimes lists those tag codes and shows/describes what all they included and what combinations were possible/not possible.

Different plants coded things differently.

I think the most extreme example is Lynch Road.

Apparently not all plants stamped the tag for all of the same options.
Agree. The layout of the tag differed, depending on which plant built the car. Also, some plants didn't put on as much info about the options as others.

www.myMoPar.com
in it's tools/reference section has one
or used to have

I haven't been there in a while since they changed the format

IIRC
www.AllPar.com
had a downloadable decoder at one time

again I haven't been there for a while either

some older org. & year/make specific
factory service manuals have all the codes
in the back IIRC too

good luck