• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you de gunk stuff?

poconos_power

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've barely started on my 71 satellite. Really, I'm starting with throwing a new gas tank in, which has turned into a bigger project of course. So I figured if I were doing it I'd do the vapor separator too (once I learned what it is).

Luckily my wheel well mounted separator is in great shape, so is the shield that goes over the hoses. I understand those parts are usually wasted and not really possible to get, so thats a win! But what isn't win is how coated in crap they are.

I've only got a few other old cars, I usually keep them as i found them and just add new parts. This satellite is the first one I'm actually semi-restoring and making nice. So I haven't really dabbled in greasy under car gunk removal (unless chipping giant chunks of dried mud with a chisel counts).

I'm curious how you guys take care of degreasing and serious crud removal. Looking for some ideas or pointers before I endlessly empty can after can of degreaser.

Steam cleaning after degreaser depending on how bad it is. If it's thick enough to scrape off, do that first. The degreaser can be as simple as dish soap in water in a spray bottle. Hot water works.

It's a messy job no matter how you tackle it.

Kerosene or Mineral Turpentine work also ...and are much cheaper than Degreaser in a can.

LA Awesome and a Power Washer outside if you can.

RGAZ

Be careful of what you use. Take safety precautions, especially respiratory. Some of this stuff is nasty, especially oven cleaner. Manually scrape, brush, etc. as much as possible. Use a dissolving agent ( mineral spirits, acetone, etc. ) for a final cleaning. Use a good respirator, and wear protective gloves. Work safely !

Citrus degreaser works well without being too harsh. Get as much off as possible and use solvent if necessary. Carb and choke cleaner works well on rubber parts.

Many times Simple Green and some scrubbing gets even the dirtiest jobs done.
(I like the lemon version, does that make it simple yellow?:D)

And no caustic cleaners on aluminum parts!

Many times Simple Green and some scrubbing gets even the dirtiest jobs done.
(I like the lemon version, does that make it simple yellow?:D)

And no caustic cleaners on aluminum parts!
Easy Off oven cleaner is very caustic, I also use it to remove anodizing from aluminum trim. Use with open air and care.

Here is my '74 727 after a Simple Green bath and clear coating.

Clearcoat 2.1.JPG

I soak parts in my parts washer with dilrted simple green, occasionally scrubbing them with a wire brush. After a couple days I take them out and more wire brushing with fresh water. Then prime and paint. I learned early that simple green can stain/discolor aluminum so I use mild dish soap foe those parts.
Rolland

Do yourself a favor, put a hot water spigot outside. I have that with a tankless water heater, turn it up to the max temp.
Add a pressure washer, even better.
Soapy water, simple green, or that purple stuff, helps too.
Goo-Gone, automotive type only, will remove undercoat with ease. Spray on, don't have to empty the bottle, just cover it, walk away for 24 hours, scape off.
High spots, like an inner wheel well, spray again after 12 hours as sometimes it will run down. Don't be fooled if it looks dry in spots, it has soaked in. The key is to walk away and give it time.

Steam cleaner is hot and has pressure behind it.

My gas pressure washer has a hose with a particle filter on the end. I use purple power. I put the filter & hose from the pressure washer in the jug& spray the wand to soak everything with the pressure washer off(just water source pressure) & let it soak several hours untill dry. I give it a 2nds soak & let dry. Then I fire up the old beast with no PP & blast away...

Oven cleaner a brush and a power washer.

Oven cleaner works killer for getting junk off. BUT...watch where the drift mist goes and don't get any on nice paint. It will kill paint in a heartbeat, is brutal on aluminum and can give you some nice chemical burns. Also the purple cleaner and some foaming spray cleaners kill paint too. The citrus based cleaners, like ZEP from Home Depot and others, penetrate the sludge well because of the citrus oils. The old school Gunk EB-1 works very well as its a petroleum based cleaner that penetrates the sludge.

Several have mentioned Simple Green :thumbsup:

Scrape off what you can, spray with SG, let soak, spray again and use a brush. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Having a good assortment of brushes is a must. Harbor Freight has real cheap wood handle paint brushes.

And of course the obvious, don't be a chowderhead and do all of this at the local carwash.

Auto Transport Service
Back