• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you do burnouts?

Tony 69

Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Wondering how to keep my car going straight on burnouts. Rev higher and just commit?

I roll all the way thru the water box. Get the rear tires out of the puddle. I do this to try to minimize throwing water into the wheelerlls which then can drip down on the tires after your burn out. Start in first then shift to second. If the rear starts to drift then ease off the brakes and allow the car to straighten out. You can do a burn out all the way to the beams at most tracks. The just dont like a slower car to go past the beams and then back up. It slows down the racing.

I always go 1 2 3.
Sometimes there is divots where the tires go, try to be center

Lol, street=more practice

If the car won’t stay straight it typical means one front brake works better than the other.

I'm looking forward, someday SOON, to try my '63. Have never really done any burnouts, as my cars & trucks have been daily drivers, and needed them to get to work...

The biggest thing about street burn outs is knowing when to lift (get off the gas). In this vid you can see how the car gets squirrely as the left tire gets onto the painted line. It was a very abrasive tar and chip surface.

If the car won’t stay straight it typical means one front brake works better than the other
Or the road is more heavily crowned than it appears....
To the OP....your car doesn't really know if it's in the track or street....it's easier on any torqueflite to light em off in second gear, then power thru into high gear. You`ll be stellar if you work a roll control into the mix.:thumbsup:

The biggest thing about street burn outs is knowing when to lift (get off the gas). In this vid you can see how the car gets squirrely as the left tire gets onto the painted line. It was a very abrasive tar and chip surface.

That looks neat. Uh-oh, I see headlights coming over the rise.
There will be a lot of burnouts around York this weekend. Street Rods and other Muscle.

Roll control. Great on the strip or street, especially with a manual.
The key is knowing when to release the hounds as well as knowing when to back off.
You don't want to end up like one of these hammer heads out there that don't know when to back off and plow into a curb.
Of course superior driving skill in knowing how to ride the tail always comes in handy. A couple of beers also helps to keep from over reacting. :drinks:

I have a full manual valve body so I don't start out in 1st. Start in 2nd and let er rip

Burnouts on the street....now your talking my language. The only real reason why I build up my motors and ad suregrip's to my cars is to enjoy a good ol burnout on the blacktop in front of my house. Like Sammy Hagar sings "one foot on the brake and one on the gas hey." With my clutch car I just rev her up a few grand dump the clutch and feather the loud pedal then grab 2nd and repeat. You gotta know what your doing around here as the ditch on the east side is deep but practice makes perfect and I've been burning for many years!! :steering:

Practice, Practice, Practice. Also, Location, Location, Location. Up here in Ontario, the cops call it "stunt driving". If caught, your car is impounded, and you have to call for a ride home. Then a big fine, and your insurance cost goes sideways.

Auto Transport Service
Back