• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get this piece off of the dash ?

JC Childress

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
This piece thats on the dash....that is screwed to the dash and covers the switches....I have the screws out, but it must be a secret to getting it off. Any advice ?

image000000 (30).jpg

This piece thats on the dash....that is screwed to the dash and covers the switches....I have the screws out, but it must be a secret to getting it off. Any advice ?

View attachment 572045
One of the hardest pieces to remove on a B body.....

Disconnect the switches from the rear, makes it easier.....Soak the front area and especially the corners with a silicone based product.....DO NOT yank on pad ect because you will distort it permanently....Work each corner and be careful not to tear the pad....If you have a set of small plastic pry bars, like the ones for windshield installation/trim....Use them and slowly work each corner and alternating sides slowly....

The reverse is even more of a PITA.......

I had to remove both the dimmer and headlight switch to get that panel out.

Someone here on fbbo with a green satellite has a step by step procedure for this task that is really good.

All of the hidden screws which hold it in place go through screw holes. Except for the screw on the far left. It goes through a slot. Once the other screws are out, pull it slightly towards the right to clear the slot.

Its easiest to remove it with the lower pad, they you can somewhat flex the pad to get it out. Take all the switches out first. When reinstalling it you want to be careful it doesn't scratch the sides of the pad as its going in. Put it in with no switches.

It sure is easier with the dash sitting on a couple of sawhorses so you can roll it for easy access.

Last edited:
Stanton is right on it being easier with the whole thing removed. I did it last summer and it can be done but man what a pain! If you are not taking the whole dash out then do yourself a favor and take the front seat out so you can lay down to get to the switches and nuts on the lower dash pad

Seats and carpet are out but if its this big of a pain....I'll just tape it up and paint around it....lol

Its easiest to remove it with the lower pad, they you can somewhat flex the pad to get it out. Take all the switches out first. When reinstalling it you want to be careful it doesn't scratch the sides of the pad as its going in. Put it in with no switches.

It sure is easier with the dash sitting on a couple of sawhorses so you can roll it for easy access.

The only way to do this is to remove and leave off the upper pad mounting screws only accessible with the switch plate off, but you have to get the switch plate off first. But it is the easiest way.

The only way to do this is to remove and leave off the upper pad mounting screws only accessible with the switch plate off, but you have to get the switch plate off first.

Hmmm ... the upper pad screws are all set in the pad. You do not have to remove the switch plate first. The pad is held on by speed nuts from behind - probably about seven - remove those. Remove the two screws in the switch plate. Now the pad and switch plate should pull straight out together. Its probably easier if you remove the switches.

Hmmm ... the upper pad screws are all set in the pad. You do not have to remove the switch plate first. The pad is held on by speed nuts from behind - probably about seven - remove those. Remove the two screws in the switch plate. Now the pad and switch plate should pull straight out together. Its probably easier if you remove the switches.
There are four flat head screws that are behind the switch plate holding the inner tabs of the pad onto the dash frame 2 on the top and one in each corner.....So apparently you don't have those because your car was not complete.....In that case then yes you can do that but not everyone has an "incomplete" car...

In other words a dash that has been previously meddled with.....

Do you notice the tabs? There are three you can see....The center two and the far right one, the left one is not shown
s-l1600.jpg

There are four flat head screws that are behind the switch plate holding the inner tabs of the pad onto the dash frame 2 on the top and one in each corner.....So apparently you don't have those because your car was not complete.....In that case then yes you can do that but not everyone has an "incomplete" car...

In other words a dash that has been previously meddled with.....

Do you notice the tabs? There are three you can see....The center two and the far right one, the left one is not shown
View attachment 572133

Yep. The only reason I know that is mine were missing too, so I added the screws before reassembly......and now it has to come back out so I can send the speedo off :(

Maybe I just forgot about those screws. My dash had never been messed with and its been over a year since I had it apart. Like they say ... a picture's worth a thousand words !!

All I'm doing is trying to make my Roadrunner into a decent driver...not a concourse restoration. I have the paint from Herbs and I will get a dash cover ( I don't have the $$$$ for a new pad ) and paint it and try to make it look as good as possible.

image000000 (32).jpg

All I'm doing is trying to make my Roadrunner into a decent driver...not a concourse restoration. I have the paint from Herbs and I will get a dash cover ( I don't have the $$$$ for a new pad ) and paint it and try to make it look as good as possible.

View attachment 572218
A concourse restoration....hence a real concourse is not a pretty paint job either, lol.....

You already have the windshield out...Man I would just remove the dash and go through it....Doesn't mean you will spend a ton just freshening things up....

If the windshield is out you'll save yourself a LOT of headaches by pulling the dash - which is a piece of cake!

Auto Transport Service
Back