• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you go about installing timing tape on my 360 engine

Street fighter

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
I have a 360 engine in my 73 charger and I want to install timing tape to set total timing, how do you install it and how do you read it I know it have a timing tab on the chain cover but I want to set total timing.

Clean your balancer very very good,my tape is still there after 30+ yrs. Lose the belts for better access, not sure on SB; google it, has to be there somewhere.

I am slow to adapt to new technology but I have not seen a timing light without the adjustment for advance in awhile. I'm talking at least 10 years. If the basic model still is around, what could the increase in price be for a new adjustable one?

Harbor freight has them at $30. Anywhere in between up to $100+.
I hesitate to trust Harbor Freight for critical stuff like Timing lights, Torque wrenches or Condoms.

Before you spend time putting that tape on, you need to make sure the balancer has not slipped.

About half of the adjustable timing lights that I've used or others have used turn out to be incorrect by several degrees. Talk about chasing your tail. I'll keep mine simple.

I tried timing tape 2 times, once just tape, second time coated with clear and both came off after a couple of runs down the street, so I just painted on some marks, not perfect, but used the third timing tape to mark where it needed paint.

20151013_132156.jpg

I have an older Innova with adjustable dial and it is dead nuts accurate with the tape I added

Good thing you have the tape so you know

Always start with a piston stop to identify zero and confirm that the balancer hasn't slipped then put the tape on a clean surface.

Always start with a piston stop to identify zero and confirm that the balancer hasn't slipped then put the tape on a clean surface.
What he said. After you verified its good, put some paint marks on the verticle face, every 90* or so, so that you can tell if the unit is slipping in the future.

Pop that stop in #1, remove all your other spark bolts, rotate by HAND using ratchet/breaker bar until it stops, make a mark at 0 on the balancer, go backwards until it stops again, make a mark again, halfway in between should be the cut in the balancer for the timing mark. Unless it slipped. Then its toss time and get a new one.

Also after you have done what ckessel said make sure you have timing tape for the correct size harmonic balancer. The degree mark spacing will be different if it's incorrect.

Auto Transport Service
Back