• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you guys finish drip rails?

Grabbergreendream

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
I am getting prepared to finish up my drip rails on my 71 Satty. With blocking complete, my plan is to scuff the valley of the drip rail where the seam sealer is applied, which is cured epoxy primer with a topcoat of 2k. Then apply & level the seam sealer. After its cured & ready for paint, should I hit it with another coat of epoxy primer before I spray my base/clear or just spray over top of it. Its color is white compared to the grey 2k the rest of the car is in... Not sure how to tackle this when the time comes so I want to be ready... Should I take a different approach?
Thaughts or expieriences, good or bad?
Thanks

Personally I primed over it myself
I do know the sealer will tell you to scuff it
If it isn't coated over in a certain window of time.

I usually final block the car,then seam seal everywhere within a couple hours of sealer,then seal the car with reduced epoxy, base.

Everyone has their own way ( : They way I seam seal drip rails is after its primed and blocked.
I make sure they are clean and bottom scuffed, no old sealer pieces left. I run a 3/4" tape line around the roof skin in two sections overlap at the center of the windshield.
That tape line bottom edge will be set aprox 1/8" lower than the outer lip of the rail.
Seam seal tube tip cut at 1/4" bead size, have on hand several clean lint free rags and a bottle ect of thinner, rubber glove, start in the center of the front and run a 1/4" bead in the base to the tail on one side. wet your finger with thinner and drag the bead smooth to just below the tape edge, use the rags to keep your drag finger cleaned off. once one side is done pull the tape on that side. once your happy switch sides , but no more touch up after tape is pulled. lol

Then let it sit 24hrs before sealer and paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back