• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do YOU mount your coil?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I'm rewing the engine bay of the 70 Charger with a new harness from Evans wiring. I HAD the coil mounted on the RH fender apron but since this harness is a factory based reproduction, the wiring is too short to extend to the coil. I am willing to relocate the coil to sit in front of the carburetor, mounted to a threaded boss on the intake.
I am running an MSD Blaster 2 coil. Their instructions state that mounting the coil UPRIGHT is recommended. They state elsewhere that the coils are designed to use "most" factory mounting brackets. On the MSD website, they state that the coils are oil filled. Aren't stock coils also oil filled? It seems that Ma Mopar mounted all the coils laying on the side with a few exceptions.
I could solder in longer wires to reach the fender apron, but I sorta like the cleaner look of mounting it on the intake. Opinions?

I would mount it like the stock position, right infront of the intake and valley pan. I ran a blaster II for many years side ways, and never had issues, but if concerned, I'm sure you could mount it with an adapter striaght up if you like.

good luck.

Mike

I have a Blaster coil as well...been mounted in the stock sideways location since the mid 90's....no issues

Bryan

I have a Mallory 55,000 , it has been laying on the intake for years

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that it would be okay. I suppose that I can carry another coil along on road trips and be prepared. I bring extra stuff with me anyway. Thanks!

I got to where I like mounting my coil and box on the inside of the car, on the firewall. Keeps it away from engine heat.

I got to where I like mounting my coil and box on the inside of the car, on the firewall. Keeps it away from engine heat.

Dose heat hurt coils? Mine is mounted at factory location between intake and air cleaner on a 440 six bbl (hotter that hell) and it's on it's side.
It's just a high performance factory replacement and I've been running it for 20 plus years without any issues.
Am I just lucky because I've heard others say keep it away from heat.

Heat and moisture are the two biggest enemies of anything electronic.

stock coil firts and MSD Blaster2 now ( FBO once ) on stock location, not a problem ever. At least not a problem I can warn. FBO coil began to fail once but I don't think is location related. Did happen when Changed to Rev-N-Nator ECU, and ECU manufacturers told me about that could happen with FBO coil.

i mounted mine on passenger fender.(msd blaster 2) because last summer my car was running funny - dying at stop lights and i took it to my mechanic.he had me start it up and looked it over and just as he said he did'nt see anything wrong the coil blew out its hot oil all over and barely missed burning him.it was about 95 degrees outside but i feel better with it off the top of the motor in an upright position now.

Yup
Heat will kill em, BUT, they are quite Robust.
My 70 Bee has the Hemi w/ the AC on the drivers side head and intake so I can not plut coil in regular place and I too am running it on the passenger side fender well.
You could splice a wire (professionaly done, made to look original) and extend the wire to the coil?

Another thing: the "A12 cars have the coils on the intake on the side (passengers' side)
You could do that in your application,
Keep us posted...
"inquiring minds"

I'll add this too......if you run some kinda box like a MoPar ECU or MSD........whatever. When you mount it, put spacers under it so it stands up off of whatever surface you have it on. This allows air to flow completely around it.

Coils are pretty tough and they get fairly warm when they are in use anyway. The front of the intake isn't real hot with the rush of outside air through the runners and the fan blowing pretty much right at it. The factory put them there so I guess that they thought that was as good a place as any. If you can mount the coil somewhere else that's cooler, even better. Go for it.

DSCN5145.jpgDSCN5148.jpg

Mounted mine in the back seat once or twice..... :D

Mounted mine in the back seat once or twice..... :D

I've mounted a hell of a lot of them in the rear seat, matter of fact it got to be so often I removed one of the arm rests to provide more mounting room. I have mounted them on the hood, the trunk lid a few times, and in the front seat several times also, but the console got in the way and I was always thinking about cracking it. The backseat was my preferred area to mount them although I mounted one on the convert boot cover once with the top down from inside the car facing backwards, that was one of my favorites.

All kiddin aside, if you do mount the coil farther away from the distributor, you'll need a coil wire with lower resistance because the spark will have further to go.

I have it mounted here in the RR

This is where I have the current one mounted.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

All kiddin aside, if you do mount the coil farther away from the distributor, you'll need a coil wire with lower resistance because the spark will have further to go.

What do you mean all the kidding aside? We're talking about mounting coils right?

Auto Transport Service
Back