• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you remove my 1967 Charger steering wheel?

alextucker

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I didn't want to force the centre piece out if it was not the correct way to get in there so any tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

(is this the correct wheel as I also have the one with the inner rim for the horn?)

100_2413_1343357915_o.jpg

No problem. Step #1 Just grab the center horn button & give it about a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise & it will come off. You will see that it has some metal "tangs" underneath it which catch on the part beneath it (steering wheel adapter). Step #2 Unplug the single black horn wire & remove the three tiny screws holding the steering wheel adapter in place. A magnetic screwdriver is a good idea since those screws are tiny. Step #3 Use either a steering wheel puller or harmonic balancer puller to remove the steering wheel. Fist, remove the large center nut. Second, attach the your puller using two appropriate bolts (3/8" or 5/16" about 3"-4" long) screwed into the steering wheel (the holes to put them will be obvious). Step #4 Have a beer.

No problem. Step #1 Just grab the center horn button & give it about a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise & it will come off. You will see that it has some metal "tangs" underneath it which catch on the part beneath it (steering wheel adapter). Step #2 Unplug the single black horn wire & remove the three tiny screws holding the steering wheel adapter in place. A magnetic screwdriver is a good idea since those screws are tiny. Step #3 Use either a steering wheel puller or harmonic balancer puller to remove the steering wheel. Fist, remove the large center nut. Second, attach the your puller using two appropriate bolts (3/8" or 5/16" about 3"-4" long) screwed into the steering wheel (the holes to put them will be obvious). Step #4 Have a beer.
Excellent thank you, if I don't have a puller will I be able to gently bash the wheel off? Without hitting myself in the face by leaving the nut in place of course ;-) ... I'll need the beer then for sure.

you can try this works sometimes take the nut halfway off position both arms behind the wheel as if to bear hug wiggle side to side pulling towards you the nut is on for safety incase it eventually pops ps it takes some muscle not easy but I have done it

Use a puller! If you don't you will risk bending the wheel or cracking the wood grain plastic rim. Also there is dried up plastic parts in the column that can be destroyed quite easily and it's a 67 one year only column. If you try to yank it off all of the force will be transfered through the column. The puller isolates the force on the column shaft and the wheel hub.

Darthomas & gtxno1 are correct. DO NOT BANG ON STEERING COLUMN... there's some easily breakable plastic shear pins in the shaft itself. About 20% of the time, you can pull it off like gtxno1 suggests, but you can also get it off 100% of the time with a FREE puller you can get from AutoZone or O'Reilly (just need a deposit - either puller will work).

Defo a puller it is, no point in risking a lovely 67 wheel for the sake of a few euros, thanks all for the advice.

While I am here do any of you recommend a waterproof car cover for my Charger? I heard the ones on eBay are dreadful from Auto Armour, I don't plan on keeping her outside all the time just during the summer months when showing etc.

Last edited:
The wheel is a lot easier to find than a 67 column. One year only column and usually worn out. It is an un supported part and the 66 and 68 parts don't fit it. Finding the nos parts to rebuild it is tough. As for a waterproof cover I think they are unicorns. I have yet to see one. If the cover can't breath the condensation will rust your car from the inside out.
5.jpg
Always liked the Tommy Ivo trailer. Keeps it dry and stops the fondlers from touching!

I always thought step #1 was to disconnect the battery. Especially if it is late at night and you have neighbors near by.

Nice car! by the way

I'm going to try and remember to post pictures tomorrow of my homemade A body puller and a disassembled unit if you need it.
I've got one in pieces now.
Seems like that is what I used.
He's in Ireland so he may not have the same resources.

Sorry for the delay. Been swamped.
If you still need the information or for general use.
The steering wheel is already removed in this picture.
I'm in the process of removing the turn signal harness.
(The wire ribbon goes through the housing.)
Same principle. Use "bushing" to get the length needed. Sockets work.
Note the internal lock ring that must be taken off.
Same across car lines of the era.

20160816_101443 (Large).jpg
20160816_101721 (Large).jpg
20160816_101730 (Large).jpg
20160816_101752 (Large).jpg
20160816_103406 (Large).jpg
20160816_104952 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Been swamped.
If you still need the information or for general use.
The steering wheel is already removed in this picture.
I'm in the process of removing the turn signal harness.
(The wire ribbon goes through the housing.)
Same principle. Use "bushing" to get the length needed. Sockets work.
Note the internal lock ring that must be taken off.
Same across car lines of the era.

View attachment 355481 View attachment 355482 View attachment 355483 View attachment 355484 View attachment 355485 View attachment 355486
Thanks OnlyOne much appreciated but I do worry about your dental hygiene now :)

Regarding the car cover, I purchased one from California Car Covers, the "Noah" series, and it works great!

Not 100% waterproof but about 95%. It is quite expensive at $325 USD, but in my opinion, it was worth it.

I just purchased a wooden rally style wheel from PG Classics for my '67 Charger. It's made in China but a big improvement from my cracked plastic wheel that's hiding under the leather wrap. But, my old semi-circular horn bar isn't going to work with the rally wheel. Do I need different retainers, or will what's there now work with the center mounted horn button? I'm striving for the look that Alextucker has with the chromed center button. I see padded vinyl buttons, but prefer the chrome look as pictured in the original post of this thread. Any information on parts needed and where to get them, would be much appreciated.

I just purchased a wooden rally style wheel from PG Classics for my '67 Charger. It's made in China but a big improvement from my cracked plastic wheel that's hiding under the leather wrap. But, my old semi-circular horn bar isn't going to work with the rally wheel. Do I need different retainers, or will what's there now work with the center mounted horn button? I'm striving for the look that Alextucker has with the chromed center button. I see padded vinyl buttons, but prefer the chrome look as pictured in the original post of this thread. Any information on parts needed and where to get them, would be much appreciated.
I think that Alex has the deep padded horn center. I don’t know if it would work, but you might be able to get the retainer from a regular 67 b body wheel, and horn center. I should have retainers, but the snow is about 2 feet deep in places to get to them.

Auto Transport Service
Back