• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How fast is a 6.1 conversion?

70vcodeRT

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello, thinking of going 6.1 crate in a 70 b body. Has anyone taken their stock 6.1 crate in an old mopar to the strip? 12.5s possible? Please post your times and setup. Thanks

HAHA, depends on what the car weighs. But I have multiple customers running mid 12's in 4400# LX vehicles with a few bolt ons. Mid 12's should be a piece of cake. I would guess high 11's assuming traction isn't an issue.

2X. Before you buy the crate you may want to check with the guys over at Challengertalk.com. Haven't been there in a while but i know there are engines for sale every now and then. Good Luck.

The 6.1 is a good engine. It is not a hemi. It is sold as one but actually is a wedge with a modified quench combustion chamber. You can get really good power using street gas, without the head aches of a traditional hemi combustion chamber.

High 11's are easy for a stock motor. They make about 350whp through a 5 speed auto...put that into a 500-1000 lb lighter car and they'll fly.

Hang tight on buying a motor. I am working out my sponsor deal right now. I sponsor challengertalk, lxforums, modernmopars etc. We can put you something together for less and get you more motor.

The 6.1 is a good engine. It is not a hemi. It is sold as one but actually is a wedge with a modified quench combustion chamber. You can get really good power using street gas, without the head aches of a traditional hemi combustion chamber.

I think you need to do a little more research. The new hemi heads are every bit as "hemi" as the old stuff.

426 hemi head picture
426_hemi_steel_heads_01.jpg

6.1 hemi head picture
2008_1231MiscImages0040-733307.JPG

High 11's are easy for a stock motor. They make about 350whp through a 5 speed auto...put that into a 500-1000 lb lighter car and they'll fly.

To put that into perspective Alex, we had a 71 Cuda with a 426 dyno with headers and electronic ignition. The car made 327 horsepower at the wheels and 451 torque through a 4 speed manual.

We had a stock 6.1 hemi dyno 365 horsepower and 381 torque at the wheels through a 6 speed manual, Independent rear suspension, turning 20 inch wheels.

I think you need to do a little more research. The new hemi heads are every bit as "hemi" as the old stuff.

426 hemi head picture
426_hemi_steel_heads_01.jpg

6.1 hemi head picture
2008_1231MiscImages0040-733307.JPG

i agree....i get so tired of hearing this crap. or how about the one its got 4 doors...cant be a charger...

well? wth is that 2 door front wheel drive monstrocity that was built on the 80s called a charger for? its more accepted in the old school forums it seems that the late models.

sad

steve

Ok,, so the old engines were a true Hemi. The new one is not a true Hemi. It has quench areas and as such does not have the shape of a Hemispere. There have only been a handful engines in the world that qualify as being called a Hemi.

Ok,, so the old engines were a true Hemi. The new one is not a true Hemi. It has quench areas and as such does not have the shape of a Hemispere. There have only been a handful engines in the world that qualify as being called a Hemi.

That is a truly ignorant perspective on it. So in your opinion its not a hemi because the chamber isn't perfectly round? You might of missed it, but fuels have improved, ignitions are controlled by a computer, and 11:1 compression is pretty typical on modern high performance engines with pump gas.

Lol,, you don`t seem to understand. The combustion chamber has to be perfectly round to be called a Hemi. The 6.1 does not have a Hemisherical shape to the combution chamber. It has nothing to do with improved fuels, compression ratio`s or ECU`s.

I understand what a hemisphere is. It has more to do with bore and piston design than anything else. I get what you are saying. technically I guess you are right its not a complete hemisphere. If it were they would have to use a less efficient piston design to achieve the same compression ratio. It is hard to argue that it is not a hemi though just because the chambers are a lot smaller and on a smaller bore.

I believe that they have improved on the old design by adding quench areas to aid in efficiency but it`s not a Hemi Head anymore. Don`t get me wrong, the newer engines are great! It`s just a marketing ploy by the manufacter to sell cars. I find it a little insulting thats all.

i think its a mute point. i have seen what these can do.
i have seen what the last hemi built can do.
yes, they can make power, both of them.
choose what you want but stop whining about it is all im saying. if its not your cup of tea fine.

i tried for years to get mopar to support racing efforts to no avail...you should be more concerned that chevy and ford would hand out thousands of sets of heads...blocks ect...to get the aftermarket and performance minded jump started...what did mopar do? ill tell you what they did...

they did nothing.

when a stock block can handle over 1200 hp thats put down at the tire id say that its pretty dang good in my book. it carries the pentastar on it and will eat the fords and chevies up if and when its in a car as light as theres are.

steve-o

Not to mention we have guys making 1200 RWHP on the stock 6.1 cranks too. If we had half the aftermarket support the other automakers have.....

Then again, the LS motors have been in service since 98, so they have about a 7 years head start in aftermarket development

Geeze bellyaching over wether it's a "Hemi" or not!! All I know is I have seen several new "Hemi" cars that would blow the original 426 Hemi out of the water.

One of my good friends has a 6.1 hemi with a blower and some juice. In his 4400# car (almost 4700 with him driving), the car runs 9.0's.

I'have a 6.1 in a 69
Many people scrub the numbers a bit but I can say I have run mid 12's on a stock motor ,just headers intake and a ported throttle body,
With a heavy car these motors need to produce torque , which they do around 360 or so,
That number needs to be 400 plus
So I'm working on that now
Thinking about doing cam and heads !
Should achieve that hopefully , but my car s not a drag car,I don't want a crazy lopey cam crazy loud exhaust or anything like that, just the same what I have but more power and torque......
Pete

I'have a 6.1 in a 69
Many people scrub the numbers a bit but I can say I have run mid 12's on a stock motor ,just headers intake and a ported throttle body,
With a heavy car these motors need to produce torque , which they do around 360 or so,
That number needs to be 400 plus
So I'm working on that now
Thinking about doing cam and heads !
Should achieve that hopefully , but my car s not a drag car,I don't want a crazy lopey cam crazy loud exhaust or anything like that, just the same what I have but more power and torque......
Pete

You should become a gold member and take advantage of our specials. We have a heads and cam package that adds 80-85 wheel horsepower and torque with a stock idle, 2-3 mpg improvement on the highway, and no loss of mileage due to idle. You won't know there is a cam in there by listening to it.

As far as mid 12's go, there are lots of variables that go into the ET that you run. If you give me the complete breakdown on your times, I.E 60ft, 1/8 ET & mph, and 1/4 ET & mph I can tell you what to do to improve your car.

What trans is in your car?

Auto Transport Service
Back