• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this even possible?

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had one of the Prestone jumper packs from the 90's? I bought this new, and can usually date things based on what car I had at the time. I bought a 1988 Shelby Z Daytona in 2000 and went junkyarding almost weekly to find nicer parts, add options, etc. I already had this jumper at that time so I could remove the power enthusiast seats I found. After countless jumpstarts for friends, family, and myself, powering electrical items in junkyards, testing parts at home, banged around, stored for extended periods, this thing can still start my V8 Dakota after the battery died last week. This is a lead-acid battery that's over 20 years old. I'm pretty sure this wasn't designed to last that long.

20200222_130019.jpg 20200222_130039.jpg

Sure is. I have a Schumacher Instant power I bought in the 90's. Still works great. Was even made in USA!

IMG_0237.JPG

Some things just make you wonder... I suspect a big part of our amazement of things like this is the throw away society we currently live in wherein stuff lasts a short time and is expected to be replaced. I have a south bend lathe that was made in 1946, a Ford 8N tractor made in 1948; both still work fine.

Some things just make you wonder... I suspect a big part of our amazement of things like this is the throw away society we currently live in wherein stuff lasts a short time and is expected to be replaced. I have a south bend lathe that was made in 1946, a Ford 8N tractor made in 1948; both still work fine.
Agreed. My dad was a TV repairman from the 50's til 2000. Back when things were designed to be repaired and put back into service.

A guy I work with had to replace his clothes washer which was 30 odd yrs. old. Bought a new one from Lowes and the salesman said he;d be lucky to get 6 or 7 yrs. out of the new one.:realcrazy:

A guy I work with had to replace his clothes washer which was 30 odd yrs. old. Bought a new one from Lowes and the salesman said he;d be lucky to get 6 or 7 yrs. out of the new one.:realcrazy:
Funny you mention that. I'm still using the same washer and dryer from 1995 and never had to put a dime in repairs in either one. I figure if they still work fine no sense in getting rid of them.

I bought my clothes dryer in 1981. Replaced the belt twice so far, still running great.

The GE fridge that we bought used in 1971 for 25.00 is still keeping things cold.
Our 1950`s ice cream maker still works.
A friend still has a round shouldered International Harvester fridge that works.

Yep everything today is throw away junk. Seems nothing is made to last anymore.

Bought a new one from Lowes and the salesman said he;d be lucky to get 6 or 7 yrs. out of the new one.:realcrazy:

With some home center brands it's difficult to find a serviceman. They only want to service legit brands, but its too hard to make a good honest buck with no call backs on the cheesy ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back